Breast milk and scheduled c-section?

I know when you have a baby your milk starts to come in, but how does this work when you have a scheduled c-section? Does it work the same? I am scheduled next Monday and cannot remember....thanks.

Rebecca727

Asked by Rebecca727 at 10:26 AM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• im wondering this too! I will have a scheduled c section at the end of july and i want to bf. Im assumming like 2-3 days later it will start to really come in but of course you have to keep pumping alot from what i heard.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I've had 3 c-sections (2 were scheduled) and EBF all 3 babies. It works just the same.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:31 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• No, no pumping. Just BF often. My milk came in within 48 hours after my first c-section. All your baby needs within the first few days is your colostrum any way. Just feed often and your milk will come in.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:32 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Feed often and your milk will come in. It might take an extra day because your breasts won't get the homornal signals of labor. They will have to go by suck alone (skip the pump, it is not the same) but one day you will wake up with C's or D's and all will be good.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• My Midwife told me on Friday when you have a Epidural and c-sections your breasts are very engorged which they shouldnt be too engorged. and it happens from all the medication and c-section and i know this is true because i had two c-sections with my first two daughters. The baby tens to be groggy and sleepy. I am having a natural birth this time/homebirth with no meds so it will be different. Your milk will still come in
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 12:44 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I had a csection with my 4th and my milk didn't come in until the 3rd or 4th day, but that was due to anemia and not the csection. Plenty of women are able to have scheduled csections and still successfully breastfeed.

Answer by missanc at 12:49 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I had a friend that her milk did not come in with a schudled c-section w/ her 2nd child(she breastfeed her 1st). A better option for the health of baby's lungs as well as for breastfeeding would be to let yourself go into labor naturally and then have the c-section. google c-section and lungs. When your body goes into labor naturally it starts w/ baby releasing a hormon that signals it is ready to be born. w/out that it's a crapshoot.
    Anonymous