Croup

What can you tell me about it? I've put him in the steamy bathroom, I don't want to take him outside since it's raining. He is going to see the doctor in an hour. Should I be real worried? Also, he has had a sinus infection and been on meds for it for over a week, so how did he get this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Croup just happens. It's caused by a virus called parainfluenza. I would just try the steamy bathroom until you get to the doctor's. Do you have a porch or a roof over your doorway? You can just stand under that and get him the cool air that way (and you don't get wet).

My son had croup last week, and he gave it to me so we've been dealing with the same thing here!
    winterrose82

Answer by winterrose82 at 10:38 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• We do have a back porch I guess I just worry cuz it's so cold and wet you know? But also his pulmonologist has said to not do humidifiers with him b/c for whatever reason they actually make him worse so I am timid about doing the bathroom or going outside. I did it anyway though and gave him a Vicks Vapor Bath. It helped for like 5 minutes now he is barking and stridor all over again. Blegh. This really sucks! Thanks!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Cool, moist air is actually better for croup than hot steam. Croup just happens and most kids out grow it by 5 or 6 years old.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:33 PM on Mar. 8, 2010