Why do people on here think that you should only buy pure bred dogs? I read some comments on here where people were calling others idiots for buying a mixed breed.

staceynoel

Asked by staceynoel at 10:35 AM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Pets

• Who knows. I refuse to pay money for a pet. I rescue animals from a shelter so all my dogs have been mixed and they have been the best family pets ever.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 10:37 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I adopt or find. I will NEVER pay for an animal (except the adoption fee because you are really paying for nuetering...anyways.)
    If dont find it necessary to pay for a pet to make me happy because it comes with a $300 little paper.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 10:47 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I have two pure breed dogs but only because they were a gift, I would never buy one, I would much rather save a dog from the pound than to spend money on one!

Answer by older at 10:49 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I am willing to go to a shelter and pay for a mutt. I have a problem with all the puppy mills and back yard breeders. The taking advantage of the Designer dog fad, breeding any breed together, just to make a buck. They have no regard for the health, genetics, or tempermant of the puppies, they produce from these breedings.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:08 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• It is all about personal taste, personally I have never bought a dog from a breeder, I have always had shelter babies and I did get a purebread pomeranian (vlack) and papillon but my mom and dad have always bought Shih Tzu pups from a breeder and thats just because of their prefences but they did look in the local shelter before they bought them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Stacey,

The people were calling YOU an idiot for contributing to the designer dog fad. Your pups were shihtzu and something else if I am not mistaken. They were calling YOU an idiot for charging people 350 dollars or maybe it was 250 dollars for breeding and selling designer dogs. There are far too many dogs in shelters all over the country both in canada and the US for you to be breeding with no knowledge but plenty of excuses. There is no such thing as an oops litter if you get your dogs fixed...that is a responsible dog owner.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 11:41 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Acid,,,,,,,,,I did not purposely breed my dog, she and the father are getting fixed next week. The father wasn't even a year old when he got her pregnant. I guess I was nieve on that part. Well anyways, I gave some puppies away and sold the others for $250 each, they went really quick. People on here were calling them stupid and idiots for buying a mixed breed. I do believe that people who will pay money for a dog are more likely to take better care of it as to someone who gets if for free. I did not make any money off of these puppies, I paid a lot of money for their vet check, shots and deworming. It is also costing me alot to get the mother and father fixed.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 12:29 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• While you only charged 250, for your pups, others are selling them for up to $1,500 for a mutt. I find it stupid for people to go to "breeders" and spend a fortune, when they can find the same mixes in shelters, if they bothered to look. If you go to a shelter even if you spend $ 250 to adopt you are getting a fully vaccinated, spayed or neutered animal. Most shelters these days are evaluating the dogs and testing them so they can match the people with the right dog. You made many ignorant statements on your last post. I'm sorry but i still think selling mixed breed pups for profit even if it is an oops litter is wrong. A small adoption fee would have been more appropriate. I have gotten many " free" pets and they get the same care,love and attention that the ones i paid for(from the shelter). I have also seen many dogs that were paid for in shelters for many of the same reasons that the free ones are there for

Anonymous

• To cut down on puppy mills for one thing. AKC has standards for pure bred dogs and when yu mix 2 dogs together, you ruin both of them. I own 2 mixed breed dogs and didn't pay anything for them.
    crazycatlady66

Answer by crazycatlady66 at 1:44 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• well what about when to races mix, are biracial people ruining the black and white race?
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 1:49 PM on Mar. 8, 2010