How long?

What is the longest your SO/DH has gone without speaking to you? Does he give you the silent treatment when he's upset? Do you give your SO/DH the silent treatment when he's in the dog house? Thanks in advance for answering!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Relationships

• Never more than an hour..When we are mad at each other it is normally over stupid things anyway but he will try to make me laugh or do something sweet then I can't stay mad anymore and we just let our argument fade.

kjfamily

Answer by kjfamily at 10:48 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• The silent only fuels the problem. I am an advocate for communication because without it the doors to resolution are closed. My husband and I were good at getting mad and then siliencing our voice until....
    That's the problem.....until what? Usually until both of you are not angry anymore and you just decide to go on. You still have not resolved anything. Talk it out and that will lower the chances of having to discuss it again.
    ifonly4amoment

Answer by ifonly4amoment at 10:50 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Yeah its never more than a few hours. He usually calls or txts with a "lets talk"
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 10:56 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• sometimes but it doesnt last. one of us usually tries to break the ice with something funny.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Since we don't live together it's easy for him to go up to a few weeks without talking to me. He gets over his mad spell then he comes back like nothing happened. He has to work through things first though. Same for me. I tell him to stay gone until I'm over my mad spell. Some days I just wish he'd stay gone but like a bad penny he comes back.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:12 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I'm the one who does the "silent treatment," he's the one that blows up.
    Anonymous

• We've been together for 3 years now and have never given the silent treatment to each other. If it's bad enough to be mad, we talk about it right away.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 12:43 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• My hubby used to go days mad at me. It made me crazy and I'd end up doing it back! We split up for a while. Got back together a few years ago. We just don't do that anymore! It just causes more grief! I don't like space but when mine gets upset sometimes he needs anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour or so to regroup. Then we talk. I don't think the silent treatment works well unless you want more stress!
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 1:10 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• if i try to give my bf the silent treatment- he just shows up at the door and whether we talk it out or not- doesnt really matter cuz seeing him makes me feel better/less mad. but on a regular thing- we can go like 2-3 days without talking to each other, just cuz we get so wrapped up in our own lives.

when i do the "silent treatment" its not as punishment- i am just thinking of a way to really go about the issue for the best possible outcome. i dont want to come at him pissed off, mad and defensive b/c then he'll turn out the same way.. i need my time to be calm, collected and to really think of my own actions as well as him-- what led up to me being mad and what steps we could take to fix it.

my bf hasnt really been mad at me before. if he is, then he just tells me. he has NO communication problems at all. i do- in the past, i got hit for speaking my mind the wrong way. lol
    Shy_Dia

Answer by Shy_Dia at 3:54 PM on Mar. 8, 2010