What are some tips for dealing with seperation anxiety in my almost 3 year old?

My daughter will be three on April 5th. She is going through some severe separation anxiety. = ( When we pull up to her daycare and she see's the "school" (we call it school) she automatically starts saying, "NO! Idon't want to!"
When I take her to class I have to pull her off my legs and she is always kicking and screaming and crying (it breaks my heart) and yelling "I don't want to!" (She is just now starting to be able to talk better as she has had some hearing problems up until surgery a few weeks back. So she can't say a ton of what is wrong with her, etc. Saying that is her way of expressing herself.)
We also have a baby brother due to be here only four days before her third birthdaybut she seems really excited about him coming. She hugs my tummy and kisses it and such all the time and helps put his stuff up and all. Could him being on the way be another cause of her anxiety still?
I need help. = (

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 10:45 AM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have a son (2 1/2) and a baby girl (2 months old) My 2 1/2 year old has seperation anxiety. Yes it is hard-but consistancy seems to help me. He is getting better. Does your daughter have a cochlear implant? just curious. I have read that very noisy environments can be disturbing because the words are hard to understand and seem jumbled. Maybe you should try a small preschool. What helps my son is if I put him in an environment with music-this seems to soothe him. I also bring a few toys from home so he has somehting of his own with him. I dont think her behavior has anything to do with you being pregnant. I was nervous of that too but my son is very loving and protective of his baby sister. JUst love her and tell her mommy will be back..and leave quickly and let her cry...it will stop after awhile. Good Luck :)
    flowermom76

Answer by flowermom76 at 12:15 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Yeah, her older sister and the daycare attendant both tell me that she is fine after a bit when I leave. Lol, my four year old (the older sister) told me this morning "She'll be okay mommy, she always is after you leave." She is so mature for a four year old. = ) But I will try bringing a toy from home and see if that helps, but I doubt it will. She just doesn't want me to leave her at all.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:27 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Also, I just thought about this. She had surgery back at the end of Febuary on the 24th. They took her out of the room while she was under anesthesia and when she woke up she was not around people she knows. She flipped out completely and these actions have really started since then. She used to complain a little about school but truly enjoyed it and would go peacefully... now it is a royal fight.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 2:18 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• She might be dealing with just a little insecurity? I am only guessing. I know my first son is really sensitive and would have very insecure moments. He is naturally very shy.I started volunteering at his school and putting him in sports. After organizing play dates with other moms he has really broken out of his shell but this was when he was 5, he is now 9 and one of the funniest most outgoing kids around-go figure. :)
    flowermom76

Answer by flowermom76 at 1:56 AM on Mar. 9, 2010