Red Velvet Cake

What flavor is it considered????? Or what flavor does it taste like to you??

Korysmom96

Asked by Korysmom96 at 10:50 AM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Food & Drink

• it's vanilla with a little bit of chocolate and a TON of red dye.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Thats funny I could never quit pinpoint the flavor!! Thanks
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 10:55 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• some recipes use beets to get the color
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I just made a red velvet cake for the first time yesterday and the batter looked like a giant bowl of blood. It was nasty... but the cake tastes good. Kind of like a mellow chocolate flavor to me.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:56 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• It's considered to be a mild chocolate. If you didn't put in the dye it would be a light brown.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:02 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I ate so much Red Velvet cake for my Bday a couple of years ago that I pooped red for three days. Dont think I have eaten it since...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• TMI there anon but hella funny!!
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 2:20 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I don't think it tastes like much of anything. I'm a chocoholic but I don't taste any chocolate to it. Not a flavor I'm fond of at all!
    Anonymous

• I don't add cocoa to mine. I also don't dye it red. I make golden velvet cake with whole wheat pastry flour. -- It has a sweet buttermilk flavor.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:32 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• It actually doesn't have much flavor. There is cooca, but it is only enough to help develop the color in preparation for all that red food coloring! I loved that cake growing up, but my grandmother made them homemade with buttermilk (there is a touch of vinegar in there, too) It is a very mild flavored cake for sure but the homemade ones are so much better than mixes. Also she used the original recipe icing, not the cream cheese that has become so popular. The original icing (traced back to Waldorf Astoria Hotel in NY) is commonly referred to as Mary Kay icing. It is a cooked icing that is very light and has a unique texture. I can only eat this type of red velvet cake. The ones with cream cheese icing do not taste right to me. :)
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 4:16 PM on Mar. 8, 2010