My son just turned 2 and he pinches. What should we do?

We smack his hand and tell him no. He is always on the go. Always touching things, and grabbing things, runs to another thing right after he gets in trouble for something. Makes one mess and as I'm cleaning it he makes another. He has a big sister whos 2 years older than him but she was nothing like him! Complete opposite. We don't know what to do. He randomly hits and pinches other kids. We do not want him to think its ok so we do not tell other parents its ok to hit or pinch back. It is NOT ok to let another child hit back. We've tried smacking his hand, whippin his butt, telling him no, nothing seems to work.

MomofCiaraAaron

Asked by MomofCiaraAaron at 10:57 AM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well I will probably get crap for this but when my som and nices and a child I use to babysit went through the pinching stage I told them NO and ever so lightly pinched them back, just enough so they knew it didn't feel goog.
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 11:01 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• i would just hold his arms firmly, look him in the eye and firmly say "NO". Then tell him it isnt nice. and give him a two minute time out. at the end of time out i would tell him that he wasnt nice and that hurts. make him say he is sorry and give him a hug.

that is what i would do.... now my MIL would say pinch him back.

either way good luck, im sure it is a phase. this too shall pass.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• oops Good!
    Korysmom96

• Thats all helpful. I will try. I have a friend who tells me to let the other kids pinch him back. I don't want that cuz then my son would just hit them or something then it's a never ending cycle.
    MomofCiaraAaron

Answer by MomofCiaraAaron at 11:45 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Personally, I'd stop hitting him. In your post you said it isn't right for another child to hit back just you're hitting him. Very confusing message for a 2 yr old.. We had the same problem and it still happens periodically (my son's almost 3). We immediately pull him aside, tell him it isn't and no one will play with him if he's mean. Then he gets a little time away from the fun. If he pinches one of us, we do the same thing then refuse to play with him for a bit. That usually takes care of the problem. It's happening less and less frequently..
    Anonymous