Is 35 miles to far to travel for a birthing center?

We have one here in town but when I interviewed them with my last pregnancy I wasn't happy about some of their protocals or their transfer rate.

I found an awesome birthing center with a transfer rate of less than 3% and the environment is beyond comfortable. It's exactly what I've been looking for but it's 35 miles from our house.

Is that to far to travel?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I would consider how long your previous labor was.

I have never labored for less than 6 hours before heading to the hospital, so I'd be OK with that drive.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• imo, it's not. there aren't any birth centers within 2 hours of our home. also no home birth midwives that my insurance would cover. there are a few hospitals with very high intervention rates nearby. i'm traveling about an hour and 15 minutes south for my prenatal care & birth. i will be giving birth in a hospital but i feel comfortable that interventions won't be pushed on me, and that i can labor and birth naturally w/out being hassled.

the only thing i can say is that if you will feel like you are rushing to get to the birth ctr, rather than laboring at home, that might be a reason not to go there. like maybe if you chose the nearby one, you could stay at home until the very end. but with the one further away, if it's like an hour away, you might end up getting there way before the end which you might not like.

good luck :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 11:10 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• i meant, imo it's not too far :)
    Stefanie83

• NO! not at all! With my last I wanted a home birth (but it would have been a disaster with my ex husband who wanted me to have a c-sec so I "wouldn't stretch out"- what an @$$ hole)... The Birth Center that I used was about 40 miles from my home.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:11 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• No. I live in TX and things can be really spread out here. 35 miles would not be considered a long drive here. Some of my friends birthed 60 to 90 miles from home.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:12 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I drove 53 miles for the place I wanted to give birth last time so 35 is no big deal IMO.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 11:19 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Not "too far," but what do you like about the location, really?
    Since they can offer the same exact care and all their equipment is mobile--
    They could come to *you* in labor!!
    :-D

something to consider if you haven't already...

If you want a BC then you might like to have a birth doula to come and help you at home and in the car on the way there/to drive you.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:19 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I had to drive an hour and 20 minutes to where I gave birth. LOL So, not too far.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:37 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• It was at least that long for me to get to the hospital that I had my son at, and that wasn't by choice, it was the only place available to have him. But my son was almost a 30 hour labor, so no bigge for me lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:39 AM on Mar. 8, 2010

• No i dont think thats too far at all. Good Luck. Btw i am having a homebirth and my midwife is a hour drive from where i live. She lives a little past seattle and i am in Tacoma.
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 12:41 PM on Mar. 8, 2010