Do you think being a SAHM is a luxury or a right of every mother?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• Americans are soooo backward. One would think people would be able to recognize that when you are one of the only developed nations in the world without some formal arrangements for allowing parents extended leave to care for infants, that maybe, just maybe, you might be misguided on this issue....just a thought...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• It is a right, but it is also a luxury. Some women just can't.
    Anonymous

• Its my right to choose what I want to do with my life...
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 12:07 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• A right of every mother but also a right of every child. I believe children need their mother for at least the first 3 years of life..and do not mind paying taxes to help other families make it a reality as making enough money can be challenging and stressful.

keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 12:08 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• WOW, some panties are in a wad over the sahm quesiton lmao.

Being a sahm is a luxury. If your hubby can't get a good enough job to support his family, then it is a moms responsibility to help.

We shouldnt have to help you raise your babies. Do it yourself.
    Anonymous

• most other contries view it as a right, here it is a luxury
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:10 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Being a SAHM is a luxury, since it depends on the woman and her children getting money for their needs, including housing, transportation, food, medical, and so forth, from another source. I was lucky that my husband's salary could support us, so I was able to be home with the children, even though we had to be very careful about money.

Answer by Bmat at 12:11 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Anonymous - you aren't raising your child if you are away from them for most of the day.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 12:11 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Definitley a luxery...you should see how "glamorous" I look every morning...hahaha.
    In all seriousness...its a choice to be a stay at home mom. Not a right, not a luxery but a choice a family makes of how to take care of thier children.As Americans we have the right to choose, as Gods children we have free will.
    I am defintiley an underpaid stay at home mommy...I'm about to demand a raise from my baby daddy, haha..(being funny again,lol)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:11 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• My husband does make enough money..but it would cost us MORE money for me to get a JOB because 800 a month would be going to daycare..I dont work so we dont have to get PA..if i worked we would have to get PA....
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 12:11 PM on Mar. 8, 2010