How to comfort a child who doesn't WANT comfort???

My two year old dd has a cold. Mostly a stuffy/runny nose and trouble sleeping. She screams at night and gets cranky throughout the day. I understand this and am remaining patient...but she won't LET me comfort her. I tried suctioning her nose and she fought dh and I the entire time, so it did little good. When she was miserable and crying last night I went in there, wiped her nose, gave some tylenol for pain, and then attempted to rock her...but she wriggled away and and told me to "get out." (She did follow it up with a croaky...I love you too mommy). I then sat in the living room off and on for an hour with her screaming in frustration. I kept going back in to try and help, but she kept asking me to leave and my presence seemed to upset her even more. She's always been independent and needs space and has hated being held since infancy...but I feel totally helpless

ErinHill226

Asked by ErinHill226 at 12:29 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• maybe a soothing bath will help.. she may have muscle aches with being sick, and that's normally what tends to make us ALL cranky.. a nice soothing bath and massage might help make her feel a touch better. a humidifer is also a nice thing to help with things too, or a cool damp cloth on the head. They are small things, but can sometimes do wonders. Also try asking her what hurts. My daugther just got over being sick and she was being cranky as all could be, and I asked her what hurt, and she told me her ear. Poor girl had an ear infection on top of it all. (thankfully could get meds for that from the doctor).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:33 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Has your lil one been tested for any medical problems? Like autism? Not saying she is...but curious
    Anonymous

• She isn't generally like this. By not liking to be held, I mean she likes it on HER terms! She's actually very sociable and friendly and affectionate...just NOT when she's in a cranky mood...like at night during a bad cold. This morning once she got fully awake, she's right back to being her normal sweet little self...but I HATE not being able to help her sleep and in turn, not sleeping very well myself. I'm going to buy a soothing bath or something and see how that helps...
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 2:29 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I hope it helps...you may just have a lil cranky one on your hands when she is overly tired. :(
    Anonymous