Anyone else have a kid who has the biggest, hardest poops they have ever experienced?

Ever since my daughter has been on any solid foods, she has had some terrible issues with #2. I spoke to her pediatrician and was advised to use miralax to help her along, which kinda works, but we still have issues. And the more my little girl grows, so does the size of her poo. It is unpleasant and seemingly painful for her, and I not only fear this will prohibit her from actually wanting to potty train, but may even affect her on a Fruedin level. I don't know, any advice?

LadyVanDriver

Asked by LadyVanDriver at 1:03 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My oldest DD does. She has always had problems. She sees a chiropractor for it. She will have a movement within 2 hrs off seeing him. It is still big but she is able to get it out. We tried everything to change it. We changed what she ate did not help. We tired miralax. That helped a little but not much. I really also did not want her to be dependent on it. After all that. Her Dr talked to us and said some kids do hold it because it is something they have control over. But we found seeing the chiropractor regular really helps her. We are to the point that she just goes when she needs it.

Anonymous

• my son has this problem..he is 5.
    he holds it in and does not want to let it out in the potty, he would rather go in his pants and it is so frustrating!
    rochellecole

Answer by rochellecole at 1:21 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I know someone is going to bash me for saying this but the only thing that helped my girls with that issue was lots & lots of juice. Plain water didnt do much. But juice did. If I cut back on their juice intake they get so constipated its terrible...& then when they finally poo its huge and hard. So for us, that is what works.
    Anonymous

• Ask your ped about activia every morning. My DD was 'prescribed' that at 2.
    Anonymous

• Cut way back on meat and dairy
    Give her only water to drink
    Eliminate simple grains (white flour, white rice, etc.)
    Cut way back on, or eliminate, processed sugars, like HFCS
    Build meals and snacks around fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:55 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Does she get the miralax everyday? My DD ped said to give it to her everyday for about six months. Her poops were so large that her colon had expanded. She needed to be regular for a long period of time (daily miralax) so that her colon could get back down to its regular size.
    dmelyoung

Answer by dmelyoung at 4:13 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• My son had that and it did put off his potty training because he was so cared to go because it hurt.. then once he started using the toilet he would hold it for days and then couldn't go.. doc perscr. miralax for him and he had it every day and it worked great for him! He was pretty much on it for a year b4 he would start going on his own... He is 5 almost 6 know and I can only get him to go poop most of the time If i tell him it has been to long and he needs to go then he does.. which makes me mad that I have to keep track of how often he is going because If i forget to remind him he doesn't go most of the time.. crazy but after all we went through from baby till know I am not surprised but at least he is going know! gl and it is hard to see your baby go through all this but it does take a long time to get it to where you are some what normal..
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 9:16 PM on Mar. 17, 2010