What can I do to help my 17month old ?

my 17 month old girl has nasal congestion, sneezing, and chest congestion all with a cough (rattles) and my doctor says there is NO meds that can help ....

I think its seasonal allergies that turned into bronchitus or a sever cold...what can I do to help it go away??????

callie280

Asked by callie280 at 1:19 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• One thing that helped my son with nasal congestion was putting vicks vapo rub for infants on his feet at night. I'd dress him in his footed pajamas and it really seemed to help!
    Anonymous

• Has your doctor not prescribed any kind of albuterol? My son has a machine at home that he takes albuterol treatments with. If your doctor doesn't think something is wrong, i would take her to an urgent care facility and have her checked out.

If its just allergies try benydryl and call dr about dosage amount.

I hope your lil girl starts to feel better
    Anonymous

• If she's coughing and congested there are a couple things you can do. You can use saline nose spray and suction out her nose, kids hate it but it helps. Putting a cool mist humidifier in her room will also help. You can also buy the baby vaporub and use that on her.
    nicoled02

Answer by nicoled02 at 2:16 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I help my son by putting the vics for babies on his chest and back. What really helps I have found is to elevate the head of the bed so that her head is higher than her feet. This works most of the time with my boy, but colds were hard for him until he learned how to blow his nose. It sounds like a really simple thing but it helps so much with clearing out the nose which in turn helps the chest etc. Also, did you talk to your doc about possible RSV? My doctor told us that it usually occurs in children under 2. There isn't any medication for it unfortunately. I had to watch my son suffer for almost 2 weeks. It was awful not to be able to do anything but hold him and tell him it was gonna be ok. They are all so pitiful when they are sick. :(
    IvoryRaven09

Answer by IvoryRaven09 at 3:09 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• a humidifier helps, witha little vicks in it. If the doctor won't give her anything, there isn't much more you can do. Keep her head up when she sleeps. Use some nasal decongester sprays for babies.. that's about it.

If it doesn't go away in another 2 days, or if symptoms worsen, take her back in to the doctor.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:30 PM on Mar. 8, 2010