CA State Senator "comes out"

There was a question here about Ca. State Sen. Roy Ashburn...here's the latest from the Associated Press:

"Republican state Sen. Roy Ashburn of Bakersfield says he is gay, after days of speculation after his arrest last week in Sacramento for driving under the influence.

"The conservative lawmaker came out Monday on KERN radio in Bakersfield, saying he felt compelled to address the rumors that he had visited a gay nightclub near the Capitol before his DUI arrest.

"The 55-year-old father of four says he crossed the line and broke the law, putting people at risk, so he owes the public an explanation.

"Since he was first elected to the state Assembly in 1996, Ashburn has consistently voted against gay rights measures.

"He has said those votes reflect how constituents in his district
wanted him to vote."

Kern County voters approved Prop. 8 75-45 %, so he is likely truthful in this respect.

Asked by gdiamante at 1:45 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• so sad the he could not have spoken for himself & voted probably, how he wanted to vote, which was for gay rights. He must have been in a real bad mental place having to hide his sexuality & also having vote against it.

I'm happy he cane out though, i'm sure a ton has been lifted off his shoulders.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:48 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Well this answers the many question the ladies here were giving him the benefit of the doubt. Good for him for finally coming out!!

Answer by older at 1:48 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Haha. I am so amused by the Politics section today. Thank you!
    Anonymous

• lol amazing so because the man says he is gay suddenly its "oh the poor baby." Forget how the man could of killed others driving drunk which should of been the real focus.
    Anonymous

• I agree, anon :52. The fact he is gay, who cares, that is his private business. The fact he was DRIVING DRUNK, now that is a big deal.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 1:54 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Gosh samurai, senators are SUPPOSED to vote for what their constituents want, not what HE wants. That's what wrong with our whole gov't.
    rotPferd

Answer by rotPferd at 1:55 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• agree :52 and also agree with rotPferd
    Anonymous

• Gosh samurai, senators are SUPPOSED to vote for what their constituents want, not what HE wants.

Good point.  Senators, Congressmen, and PRESIDENTS are supposed to represent the people, not push their personal agendas. 

Anonymous

• Well, I don't have an opinion about him coming out. If he is married then I think first his obligation is to tell his wife (if she didn't already know).

As for the voting record, I give him kudos on representing his constituency if this is how they feel.  Not that I agree with their opinion, but this is what representation is all about.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:03 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• YES, think about his wife and kids. He has been living a lie....4 kids?His wife thought she was his only one but you know he was cheating on her ....a gay person needs another gay in their life,right? What a disaster for his family. I feel for them. As far as his poltical career, I don't care.
    Anonymous