Is there a polite way to say no you can't hold my baby even to friends or family?

I don't mind friends/family holding my baby....most times. But I hate when people think they can hold him ALL the time and then they pass him around to other people without asking. It is so frustrating and I don't know how to handle it. I also don't like it when people don't think they have to ask and just grab him out of my arms! Help! I don't know how to handle these people. My baby is not a hot potato!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:46 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wore my baby in a wrap. No one can grab and they tend not to ask.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:47 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Just tell them he doesn't like to be held by strangers.. That's what I did and nobody wants to hold a grumpy baby except their own, so it usually works!!
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 1:54 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Wearing them in a wrap or sling keeps them close to you, leaves your hands free (kind of an added bonus) and keeps people from grabbing them. :)
    nicoled02

Answer by nicoled02 at 2:06 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• why don't you want people to hold your baby?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:31 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I had a sick co-worker grab my son out of my cart, didnt realize she was sick until she turned around! and she caughed on him, I spazzed on her REALLY bad in walmart (my hormones were really off already)..but seriously..you KNOW your sick and you want to hold my baby BACK OFF!!! Honestly you could tell them your trying to prevent germs spread during flu season. Or you could carry an extra receiving blanket, and handsanitizer and make sure everyone covers their clothes and sanitizes their hands first. If you dont want your baby held, you could always just be blunt!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 2:54 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Blame the doctor. "We've been told NOT to let him get exposed to too many people this early."

And then stop worrying about being rude. You get to be Momma Bear, to the point of kicking people out of your cave. **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 3:32 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Definitely wear your baby. It's the only thing that helped me.
    Anonymous

• I can't offer much advice. Since I live with my baby, when we visit family I am completely open to everyone holding her and loving her. I want her to bond with the relatives. My only rule was that children had to ask me for permission.

Anonymous

• Just tell them that your baby dosent like to be held by other people. Thats what I did my lil girl hated to be held by other people and still to this day she hates when people touch her.
    Anonymous

• just say no. there are certain family members never under any cercumstan e allowed to touch my kids. if they tried i thin i would rip thier arms off.

you have EVERY right to say no.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 9:44 PM on Mar. 8, 2010