What are the best ways to discipline a 10 year old?

What are the best ways to discipline a 10 year old, to where they stop disrespecting you, questioning you, arguing with you, and just to where they listen to you and do what you ask them to?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Drop them off at a no-questions asked hospital, LMAO! Just kidddddinggggg.
    I have a soon to be 10 year old (March 24)..disrepectful..yep...questioning..yep...argumentive...yep...Typical 10 year old?Yep,lol.When I find myself wrapped in a back and forth agrument with my son (and he so easily gets me right in there arguing with him without me even realizing it for a moment) I simply say "okay..I am DONE,I said what I had to say and I am done right now."He tries to keep going..I tell him to go to his room and when he is ready to talk to me in a normal way so we can work this out, I will be ready to listen..until then..I am DONE.When he is being disrespectful to me, I won't even hear what he has to say..I immediatley tell him it is not okay to talk to me that way...go to your room...(no tv,no playing,no video games while he's in there!) and when he is ready to apologize and talk to me with respect,he can come out.And thats it.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:33 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• TAKE EVERYTHING AWAY!!! He only gets his bed and books. He earns his stuff back item by item by being respectful to you and everyone else. IGNORE him when he talks snotty or disrespectful.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:24 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Take a giant step backwards, and work with your son to determine why he has started behaving this way. My guess is either a problem at school or concerns about his changing body. I love the book Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves by Naomi Aldort; you should be able to find a copy at your local library. You can learn more here: www.naomialdort.com

Answer by rkoloms at 4:39 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• You put down your foot and say I AM THE MOM AND I SAID SO! Then refuse to argue more. However that said I have a 10 almost 11 year old in a constant state of grounding. *sigh*
    lildudesmomma

Answer by lildudesmomma at 4:48 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Oh for goodness sakes, ladies. She's 10 and acting like a ten yr old. She's not some older teen who has killed anyone. Adolescence is hard on her. It's like constant PMS. You can't punish her for that. Try being supportive with her. When she acts up, in your opinion, stop and tell her what she's doing that you don't want her doing. Talk to her like she's a young lady, not some little child you can just spank and beat her into submission. Help her through this. She's probably at her wit's end too. Puberty is rough on kids so don't make it worse for her. Talking is the way to get through it. When my oldest got through it then the youngest went through it. It's not easy but it doesn't have to be hard. Don't fight her, guide her through this.
    Anonymous

• I tell my daughter "I don't negotiate with terriorists." That seems to shut her down every time. LOL
    hottytoddynikki

Answer by hottytoddynikki at 11:17 PM on Mar. 14, 2010