God and medicine.

I know some christians dont give thier kids shots but i was wondering about medicine? if your kid gets sick do you or in a more serious case say staph infection or cancer do you? God can heal so how far does your faith go in this?

whitenena

Asked by whitenena at 2:11 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am a Christina. I believe that God has allowed people to study and learn modern technology and medicine in order to help us! God has given us advances in modern medicine. I do vaccinate, I do medicate and I did have an epidural. God gave our medical professionals knowledge and the wisdom to know how to use it.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 2:21 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I'm sorry but people who don't give their kids medical attention b/c God heals are ridiculous. God gave us doctors in the sense that they have the minds and abilities to treat us. God allowed medical discoveries to help us,
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 2:30 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• did God give us dr's to treat us, or are they false prophets? i am a christian and i believe in common sense and emergency medicine. if cancer threatened the life of someone in my family we would absolutely look into alternative cures and treatments first. we have never given tylenol to any of our kids...or motrin. we are not relying on prayer...we do have great faith in God as the ultimate creator. no pharmaceutical company could ever heal the body as well as the body can heal itself. if my children have a cold, they ride it out. i wait one day, and see if things are getting better. guess what? they always are better the next day. i think modern medicine has forgotten that the body works as one whole organism...not as many tiny parts that do not interact with each other. i believe that studying the sick to find health is backwards. we should be studying people who live strong, long lives to find health. studies have been done
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:30 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• prayer studies have been done where cancer patients that were prayed for fared better than those that were not prayed for.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:31 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Answered at 2:31 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 by:

* happy2bmom25

happy...
    prayer studies have been done where cancer patients that were prayed for fared better than those that were not prayed for.

-------------------------------------

HOW do you study that? I mean do you tell the prayers "OK, pray for Person A, but don't pay for Person B...and we'll see whose cancer gets better!" Seriously. Especially considering how each person's body chemistry is different and how they react to medicine differs as well. And no two cancers are exactly alike.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 4:28 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• the studies that i read, were churches given a list of people to pray for. that is simple. you are correct, there are different cancers and different "body chemistries" but why dismiss the power of prayer? how do you explain the unexplainable miraculous cures? have you no faith at all? do you have so much faith in cancer cures? do you believe that we are all living with cancer, and just don't know it? do you believe that chemotherapy could be more harmful than cancer itself? do you believe there could be less damaging ways of curing cancer? do you believe that the life you live has any impact on the strength and health of your body? really, modern medicine does not examine the healthy people, and until they do we can not possibly have an understanding of good health.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:42 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I believe God gave us innovations like modern medicine to help us. I believe you still have to have faith, but faith that God will do what's best for the person, wether that is to live or die.
    Anonymous

• I don't have god or religion but I do have universal health care, and I make full use of it whenever I need to.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:17 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Not according to the NYT Prayer doesn't change your outcome or health.... Source

lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 9:15 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Beeky: I don't have god or religion but I do have universal health care, and I make full use of it whenever I need to.

I read Sarah Palin parents did too, she was taken across the border as a kid..............
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 9:17 PM on Mar. 8, 2010