Have you seen anyone lately going "green"?

Poland spring started making their bottles with less plastic. The caps of regular water bottles are supposed to contain 20% less plastic than the original bottles.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:19 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• my mom is converting to solar power next year and she grown a garden and recycles her water. I love that some states require you to recycle or you have to pay a fine. Wish that my state was like that.
    etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 7:08 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• i think that's great! I was green WAAAY before the color got so popular. Always recycled, but back in the day i had to actually go to the recycling place. I love that i now can just throw it all in a bin & they do the sorting, so cool! I also grow my own garden & catch rain water for my plants. SO LOVE having a food garden, certainly feelin it today with all this warm weather!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:25 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I wish our trash collection/recycling was more user friendly. They are so picky about what you can recycle and they don't take the worst offenders like plastic bags and styrofoam. They also don't take glass. All boxes..even a little pudding box have to be broken down, and I don't mean flattened..it has to be ripped apart at the seams and then flattened. They are the only company within a couple hundred mile radius.

samurai chica, I garden too! I use newspapers to help reduce weeds. They turn into fabulous soil and are broken down after just a season. We can't catch water here, but I do use dishwater and sometimes bathwater. The bugs hate it and I never have to use anything else on them.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:51 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I saw those sun chip commercials where the bag disintegrates into nothing instead of staying around for years..

Anonymous

• Thats why ozarka changed the shape of their bottles. Less plastic. We have these big containers at all the schools in our town but they don't pick up anything except oil curbside. Kinda leaves it up to the consumer.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:35 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Only the ones who live near Nuke power plants.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:49 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Nope. It costs too much to go green.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:33 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• My Mother in Law.....or MIL, for those of you who need to see that..... was green and a saver all along before it was the newest thing! I learned from her. Conservation, recycling and reusing is my middle name,thanks to learning from the older women in the families. She was born in 1905, lived on a working farm and after she got married, started her own garden and canned and cooked from scratch. She reused aluminum foil and bags and sewed clothes for the family. It is a valuable lesson from a woman who made it through the Great Depression of 1929 and whatever happened after that.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 7:42 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• We have been going green for awhile. We recycle everything we can, use all reusable bags at stores, stop buying bottled water and bought filtration system, I use a reusable coffee mug even if I go to starbucks, consume less, donate instead of throwing away, etc.  There are many more ways.  It is not that expensive really!

Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 7:57 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I recycle what I can. Like ysk, we can only recycle certain types of plasic, and there is so much that they DON'T take. They gave us a green bin years ago for recycling. Then last year, they gave out a black one, which can only be used for cardboard and paper. Everything else goes in the green one. And even with the paper, there is so much they will not take. It gets kind of frustrating.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 8:23 PM on Mar. 8, 2010