Am I wrong?

Am I wrong to have my four year old pick up his toys and put his clothes in the hamper? MIL was over for the weekend and she said that's my job. I told her there is nothing wrong with DS picking up.

What do you think?
Do you have your kids pick their stuff up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:27 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'm mom, not a maid. In my house, if my DS (4) makes a mess, he knows it is his job to pick it up
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:28 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• It is not your job to pick up his stuff.
    It is your job to teach your child to be responsible, tidy and considerate of others! Tell her to mind her own bees-wax!
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 2:29 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Although I haven't had my DD yet, I use to be a private nanny. I use to make the 2.5 yr old pick up her toys. If there old enough to throw them everywhere they are old enough to put them away.
    TamlynM2B

Answer by TamlynM2B at 2:29 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• My 3 year old does that.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:29 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Umm you are totally right. That is showing kids responsibility and I wish my MIL did that with my DF!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 2:34 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Man I so would have said, ( Mind your own business bitch, it may b ok for you to teach someone to be a lazy bum, but, as for me I will teach my son to do things for himself.) If we don't show our children what is right and what is wrong then we are creating a screwed individual to send out into the world and really, our world needs no more of those. I say, Go on momma do your thing. I agree with your way 100%
    Peekalou

Answer by Peekalou at 2:49 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• My DD is 3 and she picks up after herself of course when she is sick I pick up her clothes and such but other than that she picks up her toys and when i undress her and get her changed she takes her clothes to the hamper and puts away her shoes...I dont think your wrong at all like these other moms posted its good to show youngsters responsibilty Its not like you make him cook his own meals or do laundry LOL its just pickin up after himself so he learns :)
    Anonymous

• MY DD BEEN CLEANING AFTER HERSELF SINCE 18 MONTHS! AND AT 3.5Y SHE STILL DOES!
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 3:38 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• OMG I made my kids do it or at least help with it as soon as they could walk. Doing it all for a 4yo is just going to make a lazy child which will make a lazy adult! Do not listen to your MIL, you are doing the child a favor by making him do it for himself!
    Anonymous

• Nope, I think learning to pick up after themselves teaches responsibility.
    nicoled02

Answer by nicoled02 at 4:49 PM on Mar. 8, 2010