Women with bipolar disorder....

I have a diagnosis of mood disorder axis 2 and i have had it for over a decade now. Before I got pregnant with my son my life had really leveled out and i was living a great life with out medication or therapy during the pregnancy i had some mood swings but they were manageable. After the baby was born I had a wicked case of postpartum depression that headed in a downward spiraled fueled by a deteriorating marriage the suicide of a close friend and a sick infant and my own health issues around august things started to settle down again and I am currently on a mood stabilizer, an antidepressant, a sleep aide and am participating in talk therapy once or twice a month I feel stable and happy and am starting to think about maybe trying to conceive in november but my question is for those of you with bipolar or a mood disorder is it harder the second time around, I really want another baby when the time is right cont

katiekruschke

Asked by katiekruschke at 2:35 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• but i dont want to jeaopardize my mental health and the stability of my family, I am going to be having this discussion with my doctor this month and perhaps making a game plan but I am wondering if perhaps I should just be greatful for the one biological child I have and come to terms with another pregnancy may not be in the best interest of all parties involved
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 2:37 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Are you married, if not then no you should not have another child. If yes, then it should be up to you and your husband. I think that it's important that you have the father to support you, the doctor is not the one who is going to be around all the time.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 2:42 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• My mother has had Bipolar since she was in high school. she was a single mother to my sister and i for the longest time, then she married my step dad like ohhhh 11 years ago.. I really noticed she went down hill once i went into middle school, she had her own business too, but the problem was she would go and sleep allllllll day, get pist off and hit us, it was like a time bomb. Well last march she was diagonosed with MS, and that brought her down more, Just the other day i took her out we were having a good time then she was like TAKE ME HOME!!! im tired, im gonna take a nap..... i dont even bother to tell her she needs to stay up....your choice if you wanna put your kids through that.
    bmdred

Answer by bmdred at 3:16 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I'd suggest getting off the meds before you try and conceive just to see how you handle without them. I was diagnosed with it and don't believe I have bi polar. I know it can be controlled without meds. Have you tried any homeopathic or hollistic ways?
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 3:24 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Maybe I should have mentioned I am still married my husband and I got help and rebuilt our marriage we are very happy together, and I am definitely on the high functioning side of my disorder which isn't bipolar disorder its mood disorder axis two which at first glance appears very similair to bipolar but it is definitely different. BMDRED I am so sorry for your experience and I am sorry your mother hasnt been able to find a treatment plan that works for her but right form the get go your mom and I are different in so many ways and its important to remember that even though your mom is bipolar and she hurt you that doesnt necessarilly mean thats how it it goes for all people with a mental illness, I would say the brunt of my disorder is beared in a way that is internal and personal my pesrspective can become twisted but I have spent years retraining my immediate reactions to situations I would also say that when cont
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 4:45 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I am having a low so to speak it is VERY intense and that is where I struggle most, is being able to see past the fact that at that very moment the emotional pain feels equivelant to my leg being ripped off but it wont last forever. I live a very normal life, I am married, i am the primary caregiver to my son, I even work full time as a nanny because i love being with the children but also because i love being around my own child, I am mostly just concerned about the fluctuating hormones throwing me for a loop again i think most people would agree that its not a surprise i had some unstable moments in the last year, I can't think of many people who wouldnt especially after having to lay a very close friend in the ground at the ripe old age of 19
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 4:50 PM on Mar. 8, 2010