Need ideas for Family photo

We are getting our pics done this Saturday and I am trying to decide what to wear! We have done all in black and one with us in white. What next? Our two year old will probably be wearing black pants, tan blouse with a jean jacket. Ideas for the parents?

MumFerg

Asked by MumFerg at 2:40 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• im a fan orcordinating hues, like everyone where a shade of red, but it sdoesnt EXACTLY match. try to avoid patterns, stripes and long sleves. choose a color you are comfortable in, and that works w your skin tone.

if you both wore jeans, and a top that otherwise coordinates w your daughters otfit, i think that would be cute.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 2:46 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• A family portrait is a special occasion and you should spend some time planning your clothing. If you are doing an outdoor photo shoot, stay with natural colors. Earth tones are great and some variation will look good on everyone! If your background will be trees and other greens, brown tones are a great choice for clothing. Dark brown pants, tan top, light brown dress, tan sweater etc. are all great! Dark blues, maroons, and dark greens are also complimentary.
    Stay away from any words, bold stripes, distracting patterns and/or distracting colors!
    The purpose of your family portrait is to capture the true sense of your family's soul so of course we can always be creative!!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 4:01 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 4:03 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Are they indoors or outdoors? I want to do an outdoor family pic so bad with all of us just wearing Jeans and White T Shirts and bare feet :) If its indoors I'd go slightly more formal than that, lol. I'm not really a fan of the matchy matchy but it can sometimes work.
    muensters_ma

Answer by muensters_ma at 5:00 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• We did White/light blue shirts with khaki pants. Daughter wore a dress. It wasn't too matchy matchy, but we all had incorporated those colors into our outfits. turned out really cute.
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 6:07 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I just wanted to say TY - I never thought about this. I mean yes all of us put on nice clothes; but I never thought about making them 'match' or coordinate?

Interesting...I'll have to think about this next time!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Groucho Marx glasses and moustaches - seriously, it looks hilarious....you could also do a serious one...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Something to consider is this... If you don't normally DRESS UP, don't do it for photos. If you are a jeans and tee type family, go with a casual photo, like jeans and white shirts on a black or brown background. or Jeans with black or navy shirts on a white background.

I personally LOVE family photos with those with kids in white shirts/jeans (blue in shade), BAREFOOT on a white muslin type background.. they are casual and yet look so nice.
    AaronsMom79

Answer by AaronsMom79 at 10:26 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Oh, and I also wanted to add, if you are going with red colors, stay away from white backgrounds. The red is over powering and can wash you out. Yet, if you do want to use red, go for a background that is darker..
    AaronsMom79

Answer by AaronsMom79 at 10:28 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Muenster_ma: It is indoors. I wish we could get out doors for a pic (it is suppose to snow again this weekend!)

Hmmmm?? I am getting ideas. I am thinking we will wear our 'corporate' jeans. Just need to figure out what color for shirts. I am doing laundry today, so hopefully I will find something 'perfect'. Keep the ideas and imput coming! It is helping me visualize more!
    MumFerg

Answer by MumFerg at 2:41 PM on Mar. 10, 2010