Those who don't vaccinate, would you vaccinate if

you had a second (or third, or what have you) child and your older ones were in school, daycare, etc? Are you worried about your older children bringing something home? (I'm especially concerned with, say, pertussis)
*posted here for more answers

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:06 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• That is a good question! I waited until my DD was 4 to vaccinate, but i did not have the threat of older brothers & sisters bringing home nasty diseases from school.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:11 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• My son's in daycare and I don't vaccinate.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 3:15 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• i have one child in school full time, and 3 at home with one on the way. i am far more worried about injecting the vaccines into the blood of my children, than i am of them being naturally exposed to a virus. natural exposure allows the body's natural defenses a chance. like, the skin acting as a barrier, like the nose and lungs acting as a filter. this is the natural way of limiting exposure, or exposing a little bit of the virus, just like the vaccine intention. we had one sick week this year and one sick week last year. so, the oldest being in school has not made an impact on our household. my son has not missed one day of school, yet anyhow! you can look up the adverse effects of pertussis if you want...it could bring you comfort. how old is your youngest, and do you breastfeed? other than teething none of my kids ever got sick as infants, so i don't really worry about that. my dh is blind in one eye from his dpt vaccine.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:20 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I dont vaccinate and never will. My two daughters have been vaccinated because i was stupid and i didnt know better but i stopped vaccinating them July 2007. I am due to have another baby and he will never ever ever get vaccinated. Both my daughters are in school. One in Pre-K and the other in Kindergarten and i can use a Exemption form so the school knows. they hardly get sick and if they do, we treat it with home remedies/herbal/organic stuff. And no i am not afraid.
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 3:23 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I do breastfeed. My oldest was ebf until 8 months, this one (2 months) will be as well. Does breastfeeding offter that great of protection?
    Anonymous

• Breast feeding does offer protection more then formula feeding.
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 3:29 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• breastfeeding does offer protection...and also, if your lo has a cold or is teething, breastfeeding is very soothing for your lo, and they are not likely to get dehydrated if they do become ill. i just asked, b/c other than teething, none of my infants got sick. once they are past that one year mark, they seem so much stronger and able to deal with a virus that may get them. pertussis in particular, is most harmful for infants, so bfing should make you feel much better about exposures to viruses.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:55 PM on Mar. 8, 2010