Extending nursing-those who do or plan on doing it

For you personally, what is your cut off age and why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:11 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I nursed for 18 mos, then he weaned himself. I would have comfortably gone to 2 years
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:11 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• i stopped at 2. For one, she NEVER tooka bottle. I tried & tried, but she would not take a bottle at all. She also ate solid food very late. I was super concerned about it, she was not wanting to eat anything solid so her Dr. told me to keep breastfeeding. Finally, when she was 9 months old (i know, super late for wanting to eat solids) she began to eat cheerios. But, at this point, she was still getting most of her nutrients from the boob. After about a year, we cut way back & just nursed at night or a lil before nap time. But, she was a lil over 2 before she stopped completely.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:14 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I *had* a cutoff age of one year. Then two. Then, "whenever." Which turned out to be 26 months. Trying to lead weaning is too much work.

Calendars have NOTHING to do with this. So best to NOT set a cutoff "age" but go with your feelings at any given stage.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:23 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I nursed until 14 months, which I know doesnt count as "extended" but I was prepared to go longer. She was down to nursing once a day or so then it was once every couple days and then she just stopped. I didnt want to force the issue so I figured we were done.
    nicoled02

Answer by nicoled02 at 4:47 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• My daughter self-weaned at 23 months. I did not have an end-point in mind

Answer by rkoloms at 4:24 AM on Mar. 9, 2010