Time to Stop?

My husband thinks it's time for me to stop taking showers with my son or even changing infront of him. He just turned 2 in January. I don't take showers with him frequently, but occasionally I do. I have a hard time not changing infront of him because he just comes into my room while I am in the process.

Is two too old for a boy to see his mother semi- or completely naked? When is the cut-off?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:22 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• Sheeeit. My mother continued to walk around naked until me and my husband moved here with our kids! I don't think it's a problem at all. He is only two!!! Boobies are not originally intended for sex, any more than a cow's udder!!! They're the milk jugs of nature!
    Anonymous

• no. youre his mom. youll probably start to get uncomfortable at some point. and then youll know it is time to stop. until then. go ahead. if he ask questions. answer him honestly. if he starts asking too many questions or tries to touch you... then you can explain to him about private parts. (again, at this point, youll probably start to get uncomfortable... and thats when to stop) good luck.
    Anonymous

• It's still fine at 2. My son is 4 1/2 and I still do. He's always there! Sometimes I have to change. I think around 5 I will stop.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:50 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I agree with the previous poster. He is only 2 I doubt he has no comprehension of the different female and male parts.  My daughter was about 2 1/2 when she started asking questions, that is when we were more careful about her being in the bathroom when my husband was dressing or showering. 

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 3:50 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Unless your dh is available to watch your ds while you shower, he should shut up.

Basically, unless they are old enough that it is safe to lock them out while you shower/change, they'll have to be there.

My son is six and, though I prefer my privacy, I do not freak out on him if he happens to see me change.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 3:54 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I think when you or your son starts to get uncomfortable, then it's time to stop.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:55 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• That all depends on you and your son NOT your DH.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:10 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• when my son was 2 i still didn't mind him being in the room when i got out of the shower or whatever. Closer to his 3rd birthday he started getting more interested in what was going on so i started making him wait outside the bathroom door. Changing clothes I don't mind as much... like if i'm just changing shirts or something, but now that he's 3 1/2 i usually do stuff behind a closed door because he's so observant!
    Anonymous

• As long as your comfortable with it, its fine. The last time I took a shower with my son, I believe he was 3 or 4 and that was also around the time I stopped changing in front of him too..just because that was past my comfort level by that age.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:37 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I stopped showering with mine closer to age 3. That was when he really started talking and naming body parts. I was not comfortable with it anymore. But it is true they walk in on you in the bathroom and when you're changing so eventually even if you stop showering with him, he'll still see you at some point. I think this is a personal choice and there is no "set age."
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 5:11 PM on Mar. 8, 2010