Please read!! I need to make a pie but I don't have a pie pan!

I need to get a pie made today but I don't have a pie pan! Somehow mine has gone missing and I can't take a trip to the store because hubby has the vehicle at work and I don't know anyone who could go for me or take me! Is there anything I can use in place of a pin pan?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Food & Drink

• maybe you can line a casserole dish with foil????
    Anonymous

• I'll try that!
    Anonymous

• Try to find a pan that is approximately the same size and use that. Do you have a round cake pan? That might work. Or, you could ask a neighbor if you could borrow one.
    Anonymous

• Make a turn over instead.

make the filling. make the pie crust. Divide the crust into 1/4ths. Roll each 1/4 out into a circle. Fill it, fold it over into a half circle, crimp the edge, brush it with egg wash, sprinkle with sugar, and bake it on a cookie sheet.

A pie is usually 8 slices. 4 large turn overs, cut in half will make the same amount. You may need to make about 50% more pie crust recipe depending. Sometimes I roll my dough too thick.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:28 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Also, you can wrap the turn overs in foil and you don't have to worry about getting your pie plate back from the church/ school/ office/ whom ever has your pie plate.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:29 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• if you have a cake pan, use that.

depending on what you are making, you can make a free form tart on a sheet pan by rolling out the dough, placing filling in the center, and then folding the sides over the filling by 1 1/2 inches the whole way around.

You can also make mini tarts/pies by cutting rounds and draping them over the back of a muffin tin- bake and fill them, OR use the inside of the tin and make mini pies that way.

Take several layers of aluminum foil and shape it into a pan, set it inside of a large casserole dish and pour dry beans around it to help add stability while it bakes. THIS is my favorite method (outside of making a rustic tart), because it works the best. It does take a few minutes to fabricate though, and you have to be very careful when placing the dough in the "pan" that you've just made.

Hope that helps!!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:30 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I was going to sugest a casserole dish also. Just spray it with pam. Won't be round but it shoudl work.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 3:34 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• That is an awesome suggestion Obby!
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 8:47 PM on Mar. 8, 2010