8 year old daughter having unexplained stomach pain

My 8 yr old dd has always had a little bit of a sensitive stomach. She gets gassy more often than the rest of us, for example. Last week, she was sick and running a fever. I took her to the doctor and they couldn't find anything wrong with her (tested for strep, mono). At that time she was complaining of moderate stomach discomfort. I figured she was just overall not feeling well. The fever went away, and she sprung back to life, but she doesn't have an appetite and last night in the middle of the night, she had severe diarrhea. Otherwise, she is totally fine! Any ideas about what could be causing this? Do you think it's related to her ongoing tummy sensitivities? By the way, she doesn't drink cow's milk, only soymilk. She does eat cottage cheese and yogurt on occasion, in case someone's thinking lactose intolerance. I'm just not sure.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Ask for a referral to a GI specialist. Have her tested for things like celiac's disease (allergy to gluten). Another really good thing to do, which any good doc would ask for, is to keep a food journal - write down EVERYTHING she eats & when, and also when she's gassy, has stomach aches, poops, basically everything. Do it for a while and you'll likely start to see a trend - if you don't, a good doc will.
    Anonymous

• It sounded like lactose intolerence to me too. If it's an on-going thing you probably should have her tested for allergies.
    Anonymous