my newborn... question.

my baby is 6 days old...still has her belly button thingy, but its bleeding a little is this normal?

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 3:29 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try not to touch it or move it too much. if your ok with using alcohol dab a little on a q-tip and lightly press around the cord. it sounds like its getting ready to fall off, you just need to keep it dry.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 3:31 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I dont think that its normal. When i had my daughter 8 months ago they told us to put rubbing alcohol on and in the belly button to dry the stump out so it can fall off. I would call your pediatrician and see what they say. They may beable to prescribe something if necessary..GL
    Emma7-11-09

Answer by Emma7-11-09 at 3:31 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• normal. dont mess with it too much. a little bit of rubbing alcohol to cleanse it. honestly. you can even just leave it alone and not worry about cleaning it. if you notice blood and puss oozing... then id call the doctor. but a little blood is ok. you can also try folding down the front of her diaper so it doesnt rub on the umbilical cord. good luck.
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 3:33 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• The doc might have to put that silver nitrate stuff on it to dry it up
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 3:34 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• and dont get it wet in the tub. just give her sponge baths for now until it falls off. im sure you know that though.
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 3:34 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• yeah its normal, just try to keep it dry and clean with alcohol, only worry if its like majorly bleeding or smells bad. dont worry it will come off soon. for my first it took 10 days , one of my boys it came off on day 12 and it bled alot in the end but it was ok. and with my last baby well it never really dried up and took week and weeks to heal up...
    eSnA2008

Answer by eSnA2008 at 3:42 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• i just had this same question for my doc and she said it's fine. Keep alcohol on it and it should fall off very soon!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 5:04 PM on Mar. 8, 2010