Alternatives to cow's milk

Whenever I drink cow's milk my belly gets huge and bloated. Does anyone know of any alternative I can use for myself (when I make protein shakes, recipes, etc). And does it have calcium?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:35 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Any of the nut milks (we like cashew and almond), Rice, Hemp, and soy- but do a little research about soy first.

We do not use dairy at all. We prefer Almond milk for drinking/cereal/shakes, and I use unsweetened 'edensoy' brand soy milk for cooking things like potato soup, pudding, etc.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:38 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Yeah!! I too love almond milk, the original best. I was actually expecting the first answer to this question to be one bashing the idea of no cow's milk. lol
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 3:39 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• lol @ daisy... yeah well, someone with a little knowledge of species specific milk got to it first.

Was going to add that plant protein (like that found in the milk alternatives) is processed more readily by the body, and is vastly superior to animal protein- it takes almost as much calcium as is in a glass of cow's milk to process the protein in it (and more if your body has a hard time with casein, which means that you LOSE calcium when you drink cow's milk.
    Yes, ALL of the milk alternatives contain calcium, some of them have it as an added supplement, some have as much as they do because of what they are made from. DO NOT be deceived by the "milk is a good source of calcium" ploy.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:52 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I've hear good things about almond milk, rice milk, and goat milk. Though I'm not sure if goat milk would cause the same issues you have with cow's milk. I wouldnt worry about the calcium. There are so many other foods that you can get it from.
    nicoled02

Answer by nicoled02 at 4:42 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I've tried rice milk and soy milk, and i really like soy milk but only certains brands. i don't rememer which it was. And i've looked for almond milk in my area but can't find. We live in a small community that is very limited in variety.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 5:04 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I prefer almond milk to drink, do shakes and in cereal. I was going to post, that to me, it has the "smooth" consistency of breastmilk. So far, I haven't anything that works as well in milk/cream based soups or in baked goods though. When we buy cows milk, we buy organic, ultra-pasturized. When I switched to ultra-pasturized, I didn't get the bloating or the vomiting, that I always got from regular milk, and you get the bonus of an extended shelf life.

Honestly, I vomited EVERY day of 3rd grade after lunch, because they only allowed regular milk, and the water in the drinking fountains smelled funny, so I wouldn't drink that. This was back in the day before water bottles and many lunch choices :)
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 1:30 PM on Mar. 9, 2010