my husband wants to join the army..

my husband served 2 years in the navy before he was honorably discharged. (i won't go into detail because it isn't important) it's been about 2.5 years and he's been on unemployment because it's been difficult for him to find a job that will match what his unemployment pays. anyway, now with our third child on the way &options running out, he's decided he wants to re-enlist in the military. his only options are the navy & army. i'd like for him to reenlist in the navy because i feel like it would be safer for him but he hated it. he hated being on the ships which is why he wants to join the army. but i'm afraid that he'll be sent out to hostile areas where he'll be in danger. i knew the danger was there in the navy, but it seems so much worse with the army. i know i'm not the only one who worries about their husband, which is why i'm asking for some reassurance & help with coping.. i just want him to be safe. pls help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:38 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Relationships

• It really depends on what his MOS is, in the navy it would have been his rating. My ex is army and son was navy, so I'm fluent in one, not so good in the other. lol

If he goes into something like diesel mechanics, he'd probably spend most of his time in the rear or the base camps. I have a semi-son (I call him mine, but didn't give birth to him) that is a marine, but he works on the radios and things on the jets. He doesn't see any front line stuff at all.

Good luck
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 3:43 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Why can't he go into the Air force?

As said above there are other jobs in the military that will not put you in danger. Have look into that.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 4:03 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• yeah cuz air force doesn't put their personnel in jeopardy, they stay stateside and cheat on their wives and ruin everyone's life. Go Army. I know lots of men in the Army who are not on the front lines.
    Anonymous

• My hub is in the Army. Depending on the MOS that he chooses. Have him talk to a recruiter, and go with him. Ask any and all questions that you may have.
    And Anon..its not just Navy guys that cheat. Thats a pretty shitty thing to say. Such generalization makes me want to put you in front of my husbands M16.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 4:14 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• u r having yr third chiid and your husband has been on unemployment for 2 years!! i would b thankful that he can get in anywhere. that would bring home a paycheck.there r plenty of jobs in all the services that r not on the front lines. like the pp said it totally depends on his MOS. he will b deployed in the navy usually more then in the army . i would encourage him to get a job in the service that he likes so he will b able to stay and retire after 20 yrs and then still b young enough to start a new career and also get retirement pay!!! Plus u would have medical and dental for all those children u have and yourself too. and why didnt he take advantage of the education veterans are eligible for while he was on unemployment?? he could have an AA Degree or a certification in an area of electronics or many other things by now and would definiately hv a better chance for employment and b more valuable so additional rank=more$$$
    Anonymous

• Mrsjosey1018200. why are you being so hostile? Not necessary I think.

To OP..You have a real right to be scared if he goes in the army. Most, not all MOS's go to danger zones now days. My DH was Field Artillery. He went to Iraq. And he was doing Infantry  work. Not just military mess around on their spouses. Civilians do it to. You just do not here about it as much.

Answer by louise2 at 4:32 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• It really depends on what MOS he chooses. I really encourage you to go with him to the recruiting station and ASK Questions! My husband and I werent married yet when he signed up and I went with him to talk to the recruiter several times. Some jobs are obviously more dangerous than others, but you also want to make sure that he's going to be happy with whatever he chooses.
    nicoled02

Answer by nicoled02 at 4:40 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• there are such things as non deployable units!
    Military life isnt for everyone
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 6:54 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• "yeah cuz air force doesn't put their personnel in jeopardy, they stay stateside and cheat on their wives and ruin everyone's life. Go Army"

.Anonymous................is..................STUPID!!!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:15 AM on Mar. 9, 2010