At what age is it normal for a child to know the alphabet and how to count to 10?

I know it varies greatly, and it depends on when they are exposed to it, but what is a normal age for a child to know these things? When should they be able to recite them? When should they be able to recognize written letters and numbers? When should they really understand what they represent?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• Usually about 2 1/2 they should be trying to sing the alphabet song, not perfectly but getting the tune down. Age three they should know most of the colors. Age 3 and 4 is a good way to help them identify a small group of letters and numbers.

Just some fun stuff: Today we cut out pictures from the grocery ads and glued them onto a paper. Like we cut out a picture of apples so I write the letter A beneath the picture. I have cookie cutters and I use the alphabet ones to cut toast and bologna.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 4:02 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• 4
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 3:44 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• A good age to start teaching that (and they will actually absorb it) would be around 3-4....preschool age.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:45 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Start it early, 2-3. But just make sure they know it around 4, in time for the kindergarten screening.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:48 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• For the most part, mine knew it all around 3-4. My youngest isn't 3 yet but can count (actual things, not just saing the numbers) to 10, my 3rd was singing the alphabet at 2, but of course reciting and recognizing are 2 different things.
    Anonymous

• OP here. Thanks to all of you!
    Anonymous

• I think by 4 they should know it. My daughter is three and does the counting and most of her colors, but she has speech problems, so she has had a really hard time learning the alphabet.
    Anonymous

• my daughter knew her alphabet, colors, and up to ten at 2. She's 3 now and we're working on recognizing the letters and numbers, and our goal is to count to 25 by her birthday. She's doing really good, she'll go to thirty, but getting threw 16-19 gets her caught up a lot. But we also do the hook on phonics early learning stuff. Anywhere between 2 and 4 is probably normal.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 4:55 PM on Mar. 8, 2010