Do you think its appropriate for people to ask how many carats and how much your wedding ring cost?

Just got my ring and find that a lot of people want to know. I don't mind so much asking how many carats but think its a bit much that they want to know the cost. Curious to know what others think!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:45 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Totally tacky to ask, but it happens to me too, I just let them wonder on both counts.

Answer by older at 3:46 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I think it is weird for other people to ask you. I don't think it's weird to ask your fiance.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:46 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I guess if it were a close friend who wanted an idea of how to shop for diamonds I wouldn't mind...but its like asking someone how much they make a year. Some people asked me and I honestly didn't know, I had to ask my DH and he showed me the certification and gave me a lesson on diamonds....not that I'm going to be buying any anytime soon.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 3:48 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I thinking ppl asking the cost is a bit much. Unless they are really close friends or something.
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 3:54 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Asking about the cost is tacky. A good answer is "It cost a lifetime of devotion to me!"
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:55 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Cost is no one's business.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:01 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Actually I have never been asked but then I chose out my rings and I chose small because I don't like jewelry. And everyone that knows me knows this.

I think asking the size and cost is very tacky. Men brag about cars, women brag about wedding rings. The best wedding ring I think is small or something passed down in the family.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 4:15 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Do you think it's appropriate for your MIL to rush out and buy the exact same ring after seeing it?
    Anonymous

• I never answer anyone's question about money. That conversation is reserved only for my DH, close family, and my tax preparer.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 5:58 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I hate it when people ask how many carats or how much it costs. I never tell them the actual cost when they ask all I say is "more then my car", which it is but I wont tell them how much it actually cost or the price of my car lol.
    Anonymous