Was your mom a SAHM, or did she work?

And how do you feel about that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:54 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Both. She stayed home till I was 12, then went to work. And THAT is when my brother and I realized just how talented and smart she was; we learned about a whole different side of her in the working years.

We undervalued her when she stayed home, because all we saw and heard was her cooking and cleaning and telling us to go clean up or pull weeds or do this, that or the other thing that we didn't want to do. Every photo of her at the holidays was at the kitchen sink.

She had never told us that she was an accomplished bridal designer, or that she had run her own business for a while. She hadn't told us she'd had a cover of Bride's. I'll never know why, because she's passed away.

I think the moral: Don't stay home (or work) because you think your kids will appreciate it. No matter which way you go, you'll be wrong. **grin** Do what YOU want to do for your own conscience.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:00 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• both. my mom worked as a home health nurse, so she worked while we were at school, she was home when we got there or shortly after
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:55 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I had a step mom, and she worked ALL THE TIME. If she hadn't, we wouldn't have been fed, clothed or housed as well.

When I had my child and decided to stay at home with her, she was really happy for me. She told me that it was the right thing to do, and not to listen to anyone who said otherwise.
    Anonymous

• worked off and on part time. It was good for her.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 3:56 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• She was a sham, but not very good at it.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 3:57 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• while i was home she was.. so bout 5 when i went to kindergarten she was home.. then she got a job at the school so she was with me and my brother and has been there ever since.. so im kinda doing the same thing. im home until my kids get into public school.
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 3:57 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• My mom was a SAHM, WAHM and working mom at different points of my life.

I have always been proud of my mom regardless of her "job title", she was always there when we needed her and she would have sacrificed anything for us.

I have always been one of those people who thought if I could manage to be as good of a mom as my mom is then I am doing damn good.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 3:58 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• same as swaney06. I dont really remember if my mom was home before I was in school but she did work off and on a lot. I want to be a sahm until my kids go to pre-k!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 3:59 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Both. She had to because we were really poor. She cleaned houses during the day while we were at school and then would meet us at my grandmothers to pick us up.
    Anonymous

• My mom stayed home for a little over a year, then worked full-time.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:01 PM on Mar. 8, 2010