Another "I'm not smarter than a 5th grader" moment

Another "I'm not smarter than a 5th grader" moment: "One half of the students are girls. One third of the girls have long hair. What fraction are the students are girls with long hair? What percent are the students are girls with long hair?" (HELP!!! I have no idea how to help him with this!!!)

Starfire73

Asked by Starfire73 at 4:38 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• It would not be a bad idea to take a math class at the local college...

My Auntie homeschooled her kids. When they got to upper level math classes, she started taking classes to be able to teach them. She ended up getting a full college education so she could teach her kids what they needs to learn. She went on to get a law degree and became a lawyer at age 57.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:44 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Oh and the answer is ...1/6 of the class are girls with long hair.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:46 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Meh. I just suck at fractions and percentages. I plan on going back to school when he gets in 6th grade. Math isn't my strong suit hence why I'm posting it here.
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 4:48 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• one half of one third is one sixth. Please don't make it more complicated than it is. just draw up a class with 6 kids , make one a girl with long hair two girlsw ith short hair and 3 boys. I will let you do the percentage yourself.
    Anonymous

• I still have no idea how to do this, hence why I'm posting it here
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 7:15 PM on Mar. 8, 2010