How do you keep yourself from letting your feelings affect how good of a mother you are?

Usually I'm very a very hands-on, read stories, sing songs, attentive sortof mother..

But lately my SO has been working through the weekends and going in late - and I have been with my son every day, with no one here til 9 pm - for a month and a half. (I do go to store, yay.)

My SO and I are arguing a lot lately and the past few days I've turned on some loud children's music and watched my 1 year old run around the house while I just sit and do nothing for several hours, and just keep opening cupboards and such if he wants me to play or do my normal things.

I don't feel like doing any of it.. and when I force myself I just feel irritated (towards my SO) while I'm doing them. Like I shoved the dishes in the washer angrily because SO put pop cans in the sink again with the breakfast dishes.. a stupid thing to be mad about.

Even if I'm not actively doing anything negative.. he's got to realize I'm not all "here" :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:40 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• It's called depression. Get help for it. Depression doesn't just mean "sad". You're isolated, and it sucks. Been there, done that, didn't get a t-shirt, and don't want it. Meds and counseling helped a ton. Not to mention getting out of the house. Try to find a play group or something that will get you out to socialize with other people, and you'll probably feel a lot better.
    Anonymous

• EVERYONE has their breaking point! There is NOTHING wrong with allowing your child to entertain themselves once you provide them with an activity or two! Parenting does not require constant engagement with your child! Everyone needs to take a break.

I WOULD however, tell your SO, that even though he has worked hard and had very little down time, that when he IS home, the LEAST he can do is put things back where he found them, or throw things away when done! Tell him that you don't mind cleaning up, but you DO mind him being LAZY!!! Oh, and a little playtime with HIS child would be nice too!!! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:50 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I know what you mean. You are not a superhero and eventually things will get to you. I have recently started counseling for me because of a lot of the same things you're talking about. I feel so much better now. Maybe you should look into that too.
    Anonymous

• I am sorry. I have sever depression and bipolar disorder. It sounds to me like you are depressed and isolated and you need a friend. Add me if you want someone to talk to.
    lovemybabys1106

Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 5:58 PM on Mar. 8, 2010