Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you have kids going to college and are divorced from their father....

is it an outrageous request to send in your financial information for financial aid for college separately from your ex? DH and his ex have been divorced for about 15 years, they do not get along, she requested his financials, he said he'd send them in himself, as her financial info is personal and none of her business...she freaked. What's right here? He is more than happy to get this information to the appropriate party asap, is that wrong?


Asked by Anonymous at 4:41 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • Not wrong at all. I would have sent my stuff in indivdually as well. Regardless of wether or not they get along it is none of her business.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:44 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

  • Doesn't sound like it. He might want to call the financial aid office in question and make sure they won't have a problem getting things in separate chunks.

    Answer by gdiamante at 4:50 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

  • The only problem you can run into is the FAFSA form wants everything on one form. Personally I could care less what my ex made but they wanted both of it on the same form. This could be why she freaked out. It's not the financial aide office but rather FAFSA that wants it and that's where a majority of your aide comes from.

    Answer by baconbits at 11:15 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

  • when my Duaghter went to college, I was divorced from her father, she got financial aide,and both of our information seperate. I don't want my Ex knowing anything about -what I make,where I am- even that I exsist... I got a form and so did my EX

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:50 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

  • Doesn't FAFSA only want the financial info of the custodial parent? That is what I recall. They want the financial on the custodial and the custodial's spouse, which I thought was kinda weird and unfair. Now what the college wants is going to vary. Call and ask. They should be able to send separate forms to each household.


    Answer by Anonymous at 8:06 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

  • its fine,im divorsed,daughter in college,my ex and i dont get along,i send things in seperatly,i dont want him knowing my buisness

    Answer by lifeisgood176 at 10:41 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

  • Call the financial aid office and find out how to do it separately. The ex may not know this is possible or may be afraid he won't do it. I can't think of any other reason she would be so upset.

    Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 6:31 PM on Mar. 14, 2010