Anyone's baby had strep throat?

My stepson (7 years old) just got diagnosed today...I am hoping my 9 month old won't get it - I assume the symptoms will be obvious (congestion, etc?)...just want to check in with anyone else who has had a baby with strep!
Thanks!!

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 5:04 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son got it around 8 months old. The doctors were astonished that he got it that young. According to what I was told, a baby's immune system is not developed enough to get strep throat. I went to 3 different doctors. The first two refused to test him. They both said there was no way he had it, even though his older brother, dad, and I all had positive strep tests. I finallly took him into an urgent care clinic. The dr wasn't a pediatrician so he wasn't aware of the "babies can't get strep" thing and did a strep test (it took all of one second). The test came back positive and after a few days of antibiotics he was fine. I just felt so bad he had to suffer those extra days because his dr wouldn't test.
    The symptoms should be fever, sore throat, crankiness, maybe congestion but not necesarily. Basically, if you are worried take him in to get a test. It only takes a seond. Strep throat as you probably know is highly contagious
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 6:05 PM on Mar. 12, 2010