Question for SAHMs. If you had a salary job what would you do with the extra money coming to the household?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:09 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• I doubt there would be much left over after paying daycare for 2 kids plus after school care for 3 others. I'd be working just to pay the daycare people (and the CTA for my transportation since I don't have a car) and probably bring home $100 a month. My husband could make 5 times that just putting in a couple days of OT.
    My husband earns like $30/hour for OT and $40/hour for DT. Last week he worked one of his days off so earned a boat load of money for that one day. He probably earned in one day what I would make in a week at a job.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:58 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Around here it wouldnt be "extra"...it would be going to a day care to care for my kids while I worked. So I wouldn't see much of it. It would defeat the purpose of working if I had to put it to daycare & to gas to get to a job everyday. One of the reasons I do not work. It would cost me too much....in terms of what I would shell out for the aforementioned things & what i would lose in terms of time with my kids. The cost for me to work is too high.
    Anonymous

• Anon
    Thank you for the response. OP
    Anonymous

• Actually buy shampoo that doesn't make my hair oily than save the rest.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 5:16 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• If it meant I was still at home and didn't need day care, I would buy some clothes for me, get a gym membership, and possibly save up to get a boob job and tummy tuck. Also use it for a vacation fund.
    Anonymous

• hot and anon:

Gotcha! OP
    Anonymous

• hot and anon:

Gotcha! OP

Huh lost now. What the hell was wrong with my answer.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 5:29 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Hmmm well when i had a salary job after paying daycare, extra gas to get to work, lunches, and business suits, I had just enough left over to spend on useless crap we didnt need. Oh and it made it easy to say forget cooking lets go to a restaurant or oh Id love to have my 5th cup of starbucks today lets go. Yeah honestly I dont miss it we do just fine with what we have and I still amazingly enough have money to buy useless crap on occasion lol.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 5:34 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• i'd go to a spa and leave the kiddos with dh
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 5:38 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• The OP is trying to prove that our families are missing out on something because we are SAHM. Well, OP, all my childrens needs are met and then some. Stop kidding yourself!
    DaphneMae

Answer by DaphneMae at 6:40 PM on Mar. 8, 2010