locker room comfort

do you expect women to stay covered in a locker room to suit your level of comfort?

I saw a advice column letter where a woman wanted to know what she could do to keep from having to see so much nudity in a locker room-
I assume she was looking for advice on how to tell these women to cover up.
it's a locker room- it's considered private.

I once was at a Y that had built a locker room with private dressing rooms- fine. I had a woman come up to me and told me that I couldn't dress by the lockers, that I had to use the private rooms- (she didn't work there) claiming that since there were young girls in there and people didn't want them to see that.
I pointed out that she was in fact sexually harassing ME!

Am I the only one who thinks such expectations are ridiculous?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:31 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think that members should be able to dress anywhere they want to as long as they are in the locker room! They're not parading around the gym naked, and the locker room is for getting changed, so they can dress by the lockers, in a shower stall, wherever. I, personally, am self-conscious and modest, so I get embarrassed when I see other naked ppl walking around, but I don't feel as though I have the right to tell them not to be naked in the locker room or to get dressed in a stall! I just turn away.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 5:36 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I read that article too. I think it is ludicrous. She has the option of not going into the locker room or averting her gaze. I think it shows a lack of confidence on her part. She is not forced into the locker room!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:34 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• When I was in college, like 75% of the women in the women's locker room would walk around naked. I never did, but if someone caught a glimpse of my boobs or my butt for a second while I got dressed, I didn't care. Its not like they don't see the same thing in the mirror every morning anyways. Everyone else's nudity didn't bother me. Its not like they were bumping into me or doing jumping jacks in front of my face. Haha. If you are comfortable being nude in a locker room, its no one else's right to tell you to go dress somewhere private...unless of course that person works there and they have a policy against that or something. But like everyone says, no one is putting a gun to your head making you look at naked people. So if you don't want to look, then DON'T!
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 5:42 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• op- to ash9724 -
    maybe I should do jumping jacks in the locker room next time-
    just kidding!

Anonymous

• I have never been to a gym that had stalls in which to get dressed...so once you shower, you have to get dressed in front of whoever is there whether you (or they) like it or not. It really doesn't bother me, we're all usually just minding our own business and not gawking at other people and we all have the same body parts anyway.
    JDsWifey

Answer by JDsWifey at 9:54 PM on Mar. 8, 2010