Ques about tooth decay and breastfeeding.

DS had his 1st dental appt 2day. We found out he has one cavity that needs to be filled in his premolar and another that's starting to turn into a cavity on his top front tooth. Dentist asked, does he still take the bottle? I said, he never did, he nurses before he naps and sometimes after & thru-out the night. Dentist then went on 2 say that that's what is probably decaying his teeth! I quickly interjected and brought up Dr. Palmer's research and pretty much said it was BS. He went on 2 say that even BM has natural sugars that decay the teeth. I said, but babies only suck what they need. It doesn't sit in their mouth. He said, it didn't matter.
Let's just say, I wasn't convinced w/ his argument.
So to help me out for our next appt. I would like to ask the mom's who have
already gone to the dentist if:
1)u've been told the same?
2)if you do not give LO juice and brush their teeth twice a day, did LO still
get cavities??

Vero0724

Asked by Vero0724 at 5:35 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I've known kids who had better dental hygiene than me (and I'm pretty dedicated)...and STILL got cavities! You've already read the research on breastmilk and dental caries.

Some kids are genetically more susceptible to cavities.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:41 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Sometimes heredity just causes kids to have bad teeth. Nothing to do with milk sitting or bad brushing habits. Some people can do the absolute best and have crappy teeth. Some can have bad hygiene and never have a cavity. I was never made to brush my teeth much, always had a bottle and layed down with it, I have had one cavity my whole life. My son never laid down with a bottle, brushed his teeth twice a day. He has had 2.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:43 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• BM does have natural sugars, but nursing doesn't do the same damage that falling asleep with a bottle in their mouth will (no matter if what's in the bottle is BF, formula, or juice). Your child may just have thing enamel, that's genetic. Really it sounds like you're both right. Your right that your baby doesn't have milk sitting in his mouth like when they fall asleep with a bottle in their mouth, but he's right that BM has sugars that can lead to cavities just like formula, cow's milk, or juice can.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:44 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• *I meant thin enamel, sorry.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:45 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Hereditary. Unfortunately, even WITH good hygiene and BF kids still get tooth decay.

I had a pediatric dentist try to tell me that the reason my ds had a cavity was because he was EBF, and never had a bottle, went on to say that bottles were better! I literally walked out of the office, never to return. THAT is not someone I trust with my kids teeth!

Unfortunately you are going to get a lot of misconceptions regarding BF, and a lot of truly ignorant people who are either too lazy or weirded out to learn.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:55 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• i don't believe at all that bf leads to tooth decay. i would try to find a biological or holistic dentist near you.
    i have also read that vitamin a can reverse tooth decay in some cases. not sure if that is true or possible, but it is worth looking into. also, i have heard roamine lettuce is very good for the teeth. www.drbenkim.com sells a tooth polish...i would look into that too.
    good luck!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:14 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I have 3 children, all were breastfeed. One has never touched a bottle. My children don't drink juice and teeth are brushed twice daily. None have ever had a cavity.

I should also mention that I never had a cavity until I was 31, after having my second child, and it was a partially impacted wisdom tooth. I now have another cavity in yet another partially impacted wisdom tooth. The rest of my teeth are cavity free 37 years.
    Anonymous

• I stopped breastfeeding through the night to avoid this... When my LO had a bunch of teeth, I even switched around our nursing routine so that she nursed and then we brushed teeth and then we read books, sang songs and rocked to sleep. There are sugars in milk, of course there are. Why they wouldn't decay, I can't see... It seems intuitive enough to me, but I didn't know about the research you cited.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 7:54 PM on Mar. 8, 2010