Did Anyone Ever Think?

If we all helped our fellow human beings out more, there would be no need for PA and things like it, and our deficit would greatly decrease, once and for all?

Really think about it... You see some people that are in need, so maybe your block or neighborhood or church, whatever it is, really got together and helped them out, not short term, but long term. They need a house? Help them figure out ways to raise money, then help them get it going, or help them build one. We all have extra things lying around our house that we don't need... Instead of taking it to a thrift store (which I love shopping at BTW), where the employees take most of it, and leave the rest, give it to people you actually see who are in need.

We don't HAVE to always give money. We can lend a hand in helping others help themselves, and then PA programs wouldn't be needed so much. That's true socialism, and I'm all for it.

NightPhoenix

Asked by NightPhoenix at 6:29 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I wish we would all do that for each other....in a perfect world I guess. Everyone chips in.
    Anonymous

• Yes actually that would be a good idea. When we were better off I help as much as I could!!!
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 6:42 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I have been donating OODLES of time, money, material goods and skills to dozens of charities LONG before it was so in "vogue" to do so! I'm curious, OP, what have you personally done in the past year to help your fellow man, woman or child?!

I ask, because typically it's those who don't actually donate anything that preach that everyone else should. MANY of us have been donating all along, and do so without seeking credit--which is probably why you think some of us never do anything to help.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:45 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Giving a bit of help is great but my idea of really making a change is teaching individuals how to do for themselves.Teaching them how to succeed on their own.Which gives them a better sense of self worth,accomplishment,and FREEDOM.When a person can start to obtain their needs and desires for themselves they gain more freedom.For those who really are not capable/able bodied it is a different story BUT those who are TAUGHT to do for themselves can then be a part of helping the truely disabled!
    Anonymous

• I have for years. Even though I am an evil greedy conservative.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:04 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I have been donating money and clothing and household good for as many yaers as I have been an adult, with my own home....maybe 45 years? But I am almost afraid to say it because the last time I mentioned donating ...to Haiti....I was roasted for saying it since I was "bragging", according to a couple of posters. @@ Ha.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 7:48 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Have those of you that already do what is suggested realized that you help the same people over and over. These people make their living off of handouts. They are given food, clothing, money, cars, bikes, jobs (which they don't keep), and other like kind of things just to be back at the front of the line the next time there is something free? It caused me to loose my taste for the whole thing. And then, so many of them act as if you should have done more. I firmly believe in helping yourself. It lasts longer.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:50 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Night- many do these things routinely and silently. I guess they neither feel the need nor have the inclination to broadcast their efforts. Helping others in whatever way you can is a wonderful idea. It's what being a community member is all about.

Anonymous

• I help out many people. My sister and her roommate are single mothers and I help them out all the time. They bring their kids to me to eat every night. I give them all my kids clothes and seeing as I have 5 kids and they have one each, that is a lot of clothes. Whatever they don't use or need I donate to others. I don't give to goodwill, I donate to shelters. As a matter of fact when my husband gets home for Afghanistan he will be DONATING time at a DV women's shelter. We donate plenty.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:14 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• S pp was right, why should we have to advertise how we help others? But, since you brought it up I will touch on the subject.

I run a business that employes 3 people with living wage jobs. I could close it tomorrow and not suffer because we still live on my husband's salary. I also keep 4-6 children each weekend the Air Nat Guard has their drills. I do this for single parents and I do it for free. I have to admit that I enjoy it immensely! My husband helps Habitat for Humanity every summer. Our family is very generous with the food bank, homeless shelter and a shelter for runaway children here in town. There are lots of other small things. I wish we had more control over the money the govt "gives" for us. I honestly believe we could spend it better.

I grew up poor, but my Mom was always giving. It was usually her time, but she instilled in us the personal satisfaction you gain when you serve others.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:15 PM on Mar. 8, 2010