baby not breathing

So twice now my dd who is almost 4 months has appeared to stop breathing. The first time was two weeks ago when she had turned to her stomach and had her face straight down. I rubbed her back pretty hard and she didn't respond. When I picked her up she started to cry. Then this morning on her back she did it again and I had to shake her to get her to respond. I am freaked out and neither of us are getting sleep now because I am so afraid. I purposely make a lot of noise to see if she responds when she is sleeping. Is this something I should go to the doctor about? Its not like I watch her for a minute to see if she breathes on her own. I start to panic and wake her right away. My SO says this is normal and his first daughter did it too.

xredstarsx

Asked by xredstarsx at 6:41 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would definitely call. Today. could be sleep apnea. Still, find out what you can do, if anything, for this.
    Anonymous

• cal the doctor-
    Anonymous

• Call the doc sweetie i would!
    Anonymous

• Infants do seem like they stop breathing occasionally, when they are actually breathing very shallowly. If you can, the next time you see it, try to see if her fingers or her lips are bluish, before you wake her. In any event, you know that you will feel better if your doc checks her, so go ahead and make an appt. Do not worry that you might look you are freaking out. Pedis are used to us!!!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:52 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• She could have sleep apnea. Why just brush it off as normal if you aren't positive? Go get her checked! If it is a problem they have monitors you can put on baby that alert you if she does stop breathing. I still have this fear and my baby is a year old!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 6:59 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Put your finger right below her nose to feel for breath b4 waking her. I used to freak out cause I would think my son wasn't breathing but he was just breathing really shallow due to deep sleep.
    Peekalou

Answer by Peekalou at 7:01 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Well, sleep apnea (my daughter had this) usually happens whether a child is on their back or not.
    Your ped may prescribe a monitor. My daughter wore one for about 5 months. We also took a cpr class before she was discharged from the hospital. babies who do not breathe is not "normal" or something that should be ignored.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 7:07 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• i am not a big fan of running to the dr., but i would call the dr. for this.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:53 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• i agree w babycakes254. it could be sleep apnea. you can buy sids monitors tha go under the matress they are very sensetive, if the baby stops breathing, it will notcie the lack of movement and alarm will go off. i would definately look into it.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 9:40 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I would call the doctor. Right away. If nothing else you need the reassurance so you can rest. And God forbid it is anything serious you need to know immediately to take precautions. It might be nothing, but just in case, better to check it out.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 9:47 PM on Mar. 8, 2010