If you increase nuclear power, where do you plan to put the nuclear waste?

The supporters seem to be avoiding this in the other question. Go ahead and build your plants, where are you going to put the toxic poison byproducts that will remain that way for 15,900,000 years? If you build more plants, you create that much more waste, multiplied by each plant.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:04 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yucca Mountain in Nevada was a possibility, until the liberal NIMBY's (including Harry Reid) cried foul!!!

As an alternative a site in Carlsbad, NM has been receiving nuclear waste.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:10 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Send it to North Korea!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:26 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Like I said, NIMBY's! Environmentalists have LOTS of ideas, it's the follow-through and contingency plans where the ideas falls short!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:39 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Send it to North Korea!

***

PERFECT!!!!! LOL

high five

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:40 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Like I said, NIMBY's!

Well then, put it in your back yard instead of inflicting it on people in New Mexico who never asked for it
    Anonymous

• Well then, put it in your back yard instead of inflicting it on people in New Mexico who never asked for it

***
    Last time i checked, I wasn't in a position of power to make those kinds of executive decisions, nor do I recall VOTING for those who did!!! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:58 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• See, this is what tells me that O is not serious about nuclear energy, even though it would be better for us than anything else out there since the fossil fuels are just so evil. He shut down Yucca Mountain, then said we should look at nuclear. I don't think that anything will be done for a long while. It is just something else that he has no intention of following through on.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 8:04 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Like I said, NIMBY's!

Exactly- NO ONE wants the waste, I bet even Keet doesn't-
    Anonymous

• I remember an article I read years ago. A panel of scientists, linguists, and historians was assembled in the 90's to try and come up with some foolproof way to somehow mark Yucca Mountain so that anybody who might discover it, even if it was a million years from now, would understand the warning that it was dangerous and not to be opened. They couldn't come up with anything. There is no way to safely set up a site like that and ensure it will never be tampered with. What happens if the government changes hand a few dozen times come the year 2,501,996? What language will they speak? Will technology have survived any intervening wars to the point that any of our languages would survive that long? How many casual explorers could read Old English or Sanskrit? Same comparison. There is no foolproof, safe, long term storage.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:20 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I'm thrilled that Yucca Mountain was killed. Nevada is very good about getting our power from safe sources (geothermal, solar, wind, and obviously hydroelectric). I don't know why people thought it would be a good idea to turn our backyard into a toxic dumping area for problems that other states' irresponsibility caused.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:44 PM on Mar. 8, 2010