hair

My almost 2 year old always cries when I brush her hair. I try so hard to be gentle, but even when there are no tangles, she still fusses. She does, however get it tangled easily... even when I brush it right before bed, she wakes up all in tangles! Do any of you use conditioner in your kiddos' hair? I don't like the leave-in stuff because it makes her hair feel really oily. I'm just trying to make it less miserable for her. Thanks :)

cschwanger

Asked by cschwanger at 7:39 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I use conditioner on my little man, Pro v moisturizing actually. Makes his hair really soft and silky.
    Peekalou

Answer by Peekalou at 7:40 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• There is spray in detangler you can use when brushing. I have a boy with short hair so I don't have to worry about this, but my cousin uses the detangler for her girls.
    good luck
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:40 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Oh man I have the same problem with my 3 year old. There is this one spot on her head that ALWAYS tangles up so bad. I started using my own conditioner in her hair about twice a week instead of just using her kid shampoo and it seems to help a lot. Also try brushing it with the shampoo/conditioner is in her hair. Makes it alot easier as well.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 7:41 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I have a 2 1/2 year old. I just kept trying to brush her hair. Make sure you put it in a pony tail or a braid if she's going to bed, so there's not as many tangles. I don't use any conditioner, but I try to keep it in a rubber band in a pony tail during the day preventing it getting in contact with what she eats etc.
    I also hype up the hair ties I put in her hair, and I tell her "oh let's put a 'pretty' in your hair" "oooooh look at this 'pretty' "....at least that's what works for me! Now she lets me put pig tails, french braids and many more! I only usually do her hair up really nice for church on sunday's.
    another tip is to let her watch her favorite show (dd's is barney) and/or let her play with a special toy while your doing her hair, it might just distract her!

Also, Hold her hair at the root and start from the ends and work your way up through her hair.
    Good luck! hope this helps!
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 7:48 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• i put my 2 yo's hair in braids at night. it helps.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:53 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I would use conditioner or a spray in detangler, it will make it so much easier. You can buy conditioner at places like Whole Foods that are all natural, or there are tear free detanglers and conditioners as well. And when you brush or comb start at the bottom and comb out in sections, like the bottom two inches, then move up two inches, etc, until you are up to the top of the head, instead of starting from the top down. I had a really sensitive head as a kid and hated getting my hair brushed. It actually led to me getting a really short pixie cut in first grade. Maybe consider cutting her hair if this is something you have to battle everyday- you probably both dread it. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 8:30 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I used the spray detangler. I just buy the Target brand. You can use it on wet or dry hair. I can't get a comb through my daughter's hair without it.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 8:50 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• there is detangle sprays. they help.. also, use a comb rather than a brush and work from the ends up to the scalp. Don't pull hard, just continuous. do this in sections rather than big sections of hair at a time.. If she has longer hair, try braiding it before bed, this will minimize tangles in the morning.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:26 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I had horrible tangles as a small child and still do to this day. The best stuff my mom used on me was 'no more tears' I still use it from time to time when the tangles are really bad.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 9:43 PM on Mar. 8, 2010