Metal or wooden swing set? Which do you prefer & why?

Looking at getting our pre-schooler swing set with slide, etc. DH prefers wood because they are nicer looking, however, I am looking at price & function. We will also have much older nieces & nephews. We've outgrown the Little Tikes. What do you have?

Wood-splinters & quicker wear & tear?
Metal-rust? Hot in the summer-burns?

What should we look for? Thanks!

doodlebopfan

Asked by doodlebopfan at 7:40 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• we have a wooden one, IMO they are much nicer looking and hold up better
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 7:41 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Wood!
    Metal rusts,.

Also the wood ones you can get ones that last longer, as in play things for big and little - the metal ones they out grow fairly quickly.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:42 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I would love to have a wooden set but they are so expensive. However, I did get my kiddos a metal one last easter and it has held up really well so far and I did not have any problems with burns or anything and we had an extremely hot summer in Texas.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 7:44 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• wood!
    you can treat it, or if something breaks, you can just replace it rather than try to find the right metal, and make sure it works.
    Anonymous

• after the scare of the treated wood poisoning people -I've always had metal. I take yearly care of it tightening the bolts and spray painting anything that got a little rusty over the snowy winter. As for the slide - no matter what you do it's going to be hot in the sunshine. Put it in the shade best ya can when installing it. Good luck on your choice and have fun !
    momof4kids257

Answer by momof4kids257 at 8:32 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• We had a wooden one growing up and the splinters were a pain, literally! I'd go with metal myself, if we were going to get one.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:55 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I had a huge wooden one my dad built us when we were growing up. I dont realy remember much splinters from that and I am 30 now and it is still in his back yard! I have a wooden one for my boys and no splinters yet. I like the wooden ones because they are much bigger then metal ones, more sturdy and look much better. The neighbor kid has a metal one and since we moved here and put the wooden one up he doesnt play on his any more.
    rochellecole

Answer by rochellecole at 9:08 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Walmart metal. They grow SO fast and really don't use them all that much. Don't waste your money on something big and expensive that is only going to be around a short time.
    Anonymous

• Several of our neighbors have the wooden ones that they sell at Home Depot, and they are flimsy. The wood breaks in a few years. There are some wood swing sets/play sets out there that are better quality, but they are very expensive. I've seen metal swing sets that last throughout childhood. The seats on the swingsets are usually rubber or plastic. I vote for metal.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:17 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• We have a wooden one and then we treated it, We love ours.
    trevsrockinmom

Answer by trevsrockinmom at 3:35 AM on Mar. 9, 2010