How can I prevent getting yeast infections while pregnant?

I'm 13 weeks pregnant and have had 2 yeast infections so far. Is there anything I can do to stop getting them?

TotallyWarped

Asked by TotallyWarped at 7:43 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You can try to eat yogurt everyday if you can tolerate it. It does help.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 7:46 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Yep yogurt, I ate it everyday while I was pregnant. I got yeast infections like crazy and I'd eat a yogurt a day and I never got one again.
    trevsrockinmom

Answer by trevsrockinmom at 7:48 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Yogurt helps, but the type of bacteria (lactobacillus) is not the same strain that is found in the vagina. There are some over the counter supplements which are safe to take (I've been taking one for a recurrent BV infection) during pregnancy which contain strains closer to your natural cultures. You can check healthfood stores and ask for options that are targeted for women's health...or order online. The kind I use is Femdophilus. It really does work when you take as directed, which I have not...but within a few days my symptoms lessen dramatically. Keep in mind, though, that you have to order it oftentimes and it has to stay cold...so I would overnight it if possible.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 7:50 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• you could go to a health food store and get a good female formula probiotic. you should also stop eating sugar, and even eat low sugar fruits, and only have 2 fruit servings a day.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:50 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Oh, and it should also be noted that organic plain yogurt works best because yogurts which contain sugar or high fructose corn syrup can actually feed yeast and alter the results. They CAN still work if they have active cultures, but plain works best and faster.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 7:52 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• also make sure to keep urself clean down stairs. sleeping without any underwear on also allows for it to breathe better. bacteria thrive on dark damp things.... hope all these tips help.
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 7:58 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• You may have a systemic issue. Try an anti-candida diet.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:09 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Probiotics are what I used and what I used for my DD when she had a systemic issue. Always worked for us. Good luck, mama!
    emhain

Answer by emhain at 8:31 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Check your diet. Refined sugars, white flours, etc. Chuck them out. Raw garlic or apple cider vinegar and probiotics. If you're having recurrent infections, it's systemic and you have to starve and kill the yeast with your diet.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 2:41 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Probiotics are a good idea. Also, make sure your girlie bits get some breathing time. Try sleeping with no panties and no pants (I know, your hubby will be devastated). Women are "juicier" down there while pregnant, and that invites yeast infections. Keep yourself clean and wear panty liners (and change them often). Keeping sugar out of your diet may help, but it's not like you're excreting more sugar down there if you are (just basic physiology). You can treat them with OTC treatments (do the 7 day ones, as they aren't as strong as the shorter ones).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:14 PM on Mar. 9, 2010