too young to shave

my 9 year-old (less than 2 months till she's 10) truely does have some serious hair on her legs. We r going to a dance competition (she's in) this weekend and swimming at the hotel & she doesn't want to "look like a gorilla" Surely she's too young to shave!!!!

too young, yes or no?

dcwhite4him

Asked by dcwhite4him at 7:48 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• theres no age for shaving...it's a hair limit....i started growing pit hair when i was 8...my mom practically begged me to start shaving
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 7:51 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I think in cases like this one I would def show her how to do it. Once kids get to an age where they start to feel insecure and compare themselves to others then I think its time.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 7:53 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• my mom would only let me shave my knees down when I was that age, and I could start shaving all my leg when I was in jr high....it was embarassing! lol
    Anonymous

• if she is uncomfortable with the hair then yup it's time to shave!!! b/c not letting her could cause all kinds of self esteem like issues

Anonymous

• Not too young, some kids dont want hair on there legs and i started shaving at 11 or 12 i cant remember. I have dark brown hair and i personally dont like hair now or before. I would help her shave and teach her.
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 8:02 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• go ahead and show her how to do it. but get a simple razor with maybe only two blades... my mom didnt want me to shave and i went behind her back and did it anyways. i was very insecure about my legs. she could have saved me from lots of cuts if she had just showed me how to do it properly.
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 8:04 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• we did my oldest's last summer - its not an age limit its definitely the hair limit.

my dd would NOT wear shorts or skirts because of the hair - a sweltering summer day and she's there in jeans.

I used one of those lady electric shavers (not the epilady) but one that has the rotating blade thingies (like a mens shaver).
    it didn't remove the hair completely but took enough off to make her more comfortable and confident.

not sure when I will teach her the shaving cream and razor...
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 8:06 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• If it bothers her, there is no age limit. If you don't want her to use a razor just get the veet cream.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:19 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I second the advice of an electric razor. They are pretty gentle, you can't really cut yourself, etc. For the finer hair on a younger girl I think they work pretty well. I had hairy legs as a kid and was desperately embarrassed and wanted to shave so badly. I think you should let her, especially for special events like this or in summer so she can be comfortable wearing shorts and skirts. There is no reason to have to be self conscious. And kids can be so ruthless about things like this at that age. It's hard to accept how fast kids grow up these days! Good luck Mama!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 8:22 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Electric razor. I had very dark hairy legs at that age. My mom wanted me in a dress for Easter. The compromise for wearing that dress was shaving with an electric razor.
    Anonymous