Shadow on the heart in an ultrasound?

My doctor told me today that when they did my ultrasound they saw a small shadow over his heart. He said that usually shadows as small as this one go away but they will need to do another ultrasound in 6 weeks to make sure it went away. I know he was trying not to scare us and he wouldn't quite tell us what it may be. Has anyone else heard this? All he said was that we don't have to worry if it doesn't go away but he thinks it will.

If it doesn't go away, WHAT IS IT?!?!?!

I tried asking him and he said not to worry about that..

imamommmmyyy

Asked by imamommmmyyy at 7:58 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Health

• I googled and here is what I got

http://community.babycenter.com/post/a941995/shadow_on_heart_in_ultrasound

Anonymous

• well, good for ur doc. he doesnt want to add an extra stress while ur pregnant for something that may just go away. i have never heard about a shadow on an us but i will keep ur baby in my prayers.
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 8:00 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• my youngest did.

they noticed on her first u/s - then we were sent to a geneticist and he explained absolutely everything, and did weekly u/s to make sure it was going away (not exactly sure how to explain)

sadly, the dr does have to tell you. what would happen if something happened to baby and he hadn't said anything - most people I know would sue him crosseyed.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 8:03 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• oh and by 26 weeks her heart was perfect.

hypermamaz

• My baby had a shadow too, it was checked and rechecked...it went away. It could have been a hole in the heart, we were told if it was it wouldn't go away and would be checked at birth. We still had it checked at birth just because I wanted reassurance that a hole wasn't missed. Good luck and I hope it goes away, the good news is it most likely can be repaired if it doesn't.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 8:13 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• even holes in the heart are not uncommon, and often correct themselves. really, try not to worry. take care of yourself...worry can be hard on that beautiful baby growing inside of you!
    good luck and congrats on your baby!!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:42 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Thank-you everyone! I am trying not to worry to much, I just want to be prepared in case something is wrong. No matter what I will love my baby and make sure I do everything I can to take care of him, I just want to be prepared if it could be something major.

Thanks for all the reassurance =)
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 11:35 PM on Mar. 8, 2010