Were you one of those "mean girls" in school? Why? Do you regret it now?

I got into a discussion with my DD about the "mean girl" group in school, they were teasing her because she is a special-ed student. I know that some of the "mean girls" from when I went to school will still to this day deny being one of them and still act the same way, but out of curiosity I was wondering if those who were mean and admit it could explain why they were that way.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:02 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I wasn't a mean girl in high school, by then I went out of my way to be nice to people who may have had a hard time, but I clearly remember one day in third grade asking a girl to play with us at recess, she had no friends, and she said yes, then my friend and I laughed and told her she couldn't play with us. It haunts me to this day. I don't really know why I did it. I suppose mostly to make my other friend laugh. I felt bad about it as soon as I did it but I didn't apologize because that would have been so uncool. I will never forget it though. I did know some mean girls in high school and I think some people do grow out of it and some never do- some people will just always be mean. I think partly they have such a huge fear of being picked on or singled out themselves that they look to make someone else the target first. It stinks your DD has to deal with this- I hope it gets better for her.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 8:15 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I wasn't one of the mean girls but I didn't take shit from anyone either. I dislike my high school my boyfriend thur high school was in a different school and of course i wanted to be in the same school as him. I worked hard to have good grades and stayed to myself but no one cross me either. So ya I guess some people from those days would say I was one of the mean girls and no I really don't regret it.
    Anonymous

• We didn't have mean girls. My class was only 120 though. Small school. Sure, we had cliques, but, everyone got along.
    Anonymous

• No, quite the opposite. I had a very difficult childhood because I had a southern accent and moved north. There I was made fun of for years for speaking like an African-American, even though I didn't speak that way. I went to an all white school. I regret trying daily to go out of my way to be nice to make even 1 friend, because it was all a waste of time. I hope they regret what they put me through.
    Anonymous

• anon 8:25.....OP here, I wouldn't consider you one of the "mean girls"..there is nothing wrong with sticking up for yourself. To me "mean girls" are the ones who tease, harass, exclude, put down, and spread rumors about other people just because they are different..whether it be a different intellectual ability, they way the dress, or soci-economic class
    Anonymous

• No I was not. I often was given a hard time for befriending the girl that was getting harassed.
    Anonymous

• I hate to admit this, but I was a mean girl. I feel really bad about some of the things that I did. I have actually gotten in touch with some of the kids I bullied in high school. I looked them up on Facebook. I apologized to them.
    I NEVER picked on the kids that I thought could not defend themselves....SpEd kids etc. I did pick on the more popular kids. I did some pretty mean things.
    I think I did it either our of jealousy. Some of the girls I picked on were other mean girls. I could get pretty nasty in retaliation.
    I actually became very angry if someone picked on a SpEd kid. I would stand up for those that could not.
    Anonymous

• nope, I was the "poor" kid in school and couldn't afford all the in things so I was the mean girl target
    LadySaphira

Answer by LadySaphira at 1:21 PM on Jun. 28, 2010