mri scan question

i have to get an mri scan in the morning. i just got 2 new peircings that i cant take out yet. i plan to let them know when i go in but i was wondering if the peircings will cause a problem for the scan.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:03 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• it depends on what ur getting scanned and where the peircings are. most likely they will try to get u to take them out... if not, they will want u to put some kind of thick tape over them. (speaking from experience)
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 8:06 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• You cannot wear any metal any where on your body with an MRI. It is an intense magnet. Any of your body jewelry will be turned into a deadly projectile in an MRI.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 8:06 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• not sure if you have to take them out or not. I had one a few months ago and my whole body was in the MRI machine someone told me you have to take them out so I did I have my belly pierced, but they didn't ask me if I had any piercing or to take any out if I had any so I don't think you have to, but you could always call and ask before you go
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:13 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• if you aren't going to take them out, then you need to re-schedule the MRI- talk to the doctor about it.
    I assume you've never had one- just so you know, if you are claustrophobic, then I would also speak to them about a tranquilizer -
    it's like being in a coffin.
    Anonymous