do they have to give him a set schedule so he can get a second job?

My husband works for a hardware store and is making ok money, but he wants to get another job so that he can support us better. The thing is that his schedule isn't set so it is super crazy. There are other full time employees who have set schedules b/c they have second jobs.
My hubby has a job lined up and ready to go... but he has to be able to work an early shift 4 days a week (M-Th). However, the managers are saying that he can take this other job, but they will still schedule him the random hours, and it will basically get him fired.
They have pretty much said they aren't giving any employees a raise this year because of the "economy" (which is BS), so he would be stuck with the same pay for another year. He has been looking for other jobs and none pay enough to leave this one. Do they have to give a guy a set schedule (there are like 10 other SINGLE guys in his dpt) for a second job, or are we just kinda on a limb?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:27 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Money & Work

• Oh and I don't want bashing about how I should get a job and not him. He wants me to be a SAHM and I am working on starting a business, so don't even go there. :) Thanks!!
    Anonymous

• no, they don't have to give him a set schedule. If he wants to work there, he has to work what they give him or quit/get fired.
    Anonymous

• No, they don't HAVE to give him a set schedule. They are using the "bad economy" to their advantage. They know many people would be wanting his job, and would take any schedule that they would give them, so unfortunately they don't care. He can't do much else besides asking if he doesn't want to lose his job.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 8:38 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• His first employer has NO obligation to schedule him so he can moonlight. If they're nice, they'll do it...but sounds like they're not nice.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:38 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Oh. And the fact that they are screwing with his schedule tells me they're trying to get him to leave. He might consider taking the new job, quitting the original and then looking for a new second job.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:40 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I agree that for some reason they seem like they deliberately will not work with him. I don't see much of a choice. He either passes up the other job or quits the hardware store.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 8:52 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• No they have actually given him a leg up with a lot of things (he started as a temp and worked his way up to full time in less than a year... store record lol). I don't think they are trying to get him to quit... I think its more like they could care less about his personal life. It sucks they can't do that but the store manager comes back from vacation thursday and he will talk to him then. We are constantly looking for something else... but I guess we ARE grateful he HAS a job when many people don't. Still frustrating !!!!!!

FUBAR hahaha
    Anonymous

• So why are you whining about it on here if you already have it figured out? You already told everyone who responded they are wrong...

As a manager, your personal life is your personal life. You can't to the job go elsewhere. And worrying about what other people you work with get and do leads to trouble. See, you may think the other workers get set schedules but there could be somthing else going on that you know nothing about. Assuming what goes on and what really goes on are two different realities. Did you ever think that maybe the other guys had set schedules ahead of time and they can't afford to give your husband one now because it could hurt them? Should they go back on the other guys arrangement so he can get it?

If it's not working, move on.
    Anonymous

• I worked in retail management for 15 years. (So happy to be gone!) If your husband is 'asking' for this he is less likely to get it. If he says, this is the deal, I'm doing what I have to do, then they will more than likely bend. If your husband is a good employee, they will want to keep him. The fact that other employees who have 2nd jobs get a set schedule, tells me that, yes, they do need to do the same for him. Giving favors to some employees and not others is, yes the evil D-word.... discrimination. If he approaches this as it is, a business negotiation, he will just show his employer that he can maintain a level head in stressful situations & seem like an even more valuable employee, one they want to keep & work with.

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 9:28 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• It's not discrimination if someone was hired on that way.....that wouldn't even stand up in court. I wouldn't be telling anyone to tell their supervisor "here's how it is" You tell me here's how it is, then you won't be getting what you want I don't care who you are. As a supervisor you demand things to me instead of coming to me trying to work it out, See Ya. No one, I don't care who you are can hold a company hostage. Everyone is easily replacable. And the place will move on. Those people probably had set sched before he was hired on, it's not right to change it, but that doesn't mean the ones who start after get that if they can't accomodate that.
    Anonymous