How do you handle naughty 3yos in public places?

I've tried and tried, but I'm at a loss with my 3yo ds. He just seems to enjoy going over the deep end ever time we got to the store! It's so bad I hate to take him, but I don't have anybody else to leave him with and I'm single. How do you all keep your 3yo's under control? I see yours are always good while mine is having a tantrum or whatever because he's not getting his way!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:50 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• What is he having a tantrum about? Your son it NOT the only child who does that, but if you give me an idea of what he's throwing a fit about I might be able to suggest something that could help.
    Anonymous

• I keep toys and snacks set aside for him to enjoy only when we go out. And while it may be a pain sometimes, and I really need some of the stuff, but if he does throw a fit, we just leave.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 8:56 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• All though I don't have a three year old, I'll try to give my best advice here using some ideas i thought where nice from super nanny:
    1. Tell your three year old head of time what you will be doing, what you will be getting, how long you think you will at the store and so forth.
    2. Tell him your expections of him, and let him know there will be consquences for outburts.
    3. Try to have him help you (if you are at the grocery store) look for items, that way, he isn't bored, and make sure never to go before naptime or right before a meal time (like within half an hour to an hour.
    4. If he Is naughty, simply say "we don't do that here." and if he doesn't listen, you will have to follow through and go outside, have him and you go in the car or somewhere a little bit a lonish for a time out. I know, it might take awhile the first while you try this, but i've seen it work on many kids (not just ones in super nanny)
    Anonymous

• Don't take him when he is tired, bring something for him to snack on, try giving him some sort of "job" to help you
    Anonymous

• I've seen parents give a time-out right in the store as well, just had the kids sit right down where they were for a few minutes and that did the trick.
    Anonymous

• one more
    5. set an award chart for everytime he does behave in the store..at the end he can have a treat of some kind (it doesn't have to be sweets, it can just be a day at the park or something like that.)

and yes, you might not always be able to get your grocery shopping done, or get it done as fast, but it will be worth it.
    Anonymous

• My son has fits both when I get things he doesn't want me to get or when I don't get the things he wants! It's terrible. I do the snacks and rewards if he's good. That works to some degree, but it still seems like at least once per trip he's launching into a fit about something! I've left a few times, but I'm single so I have to come back at some point! It's tiring, embarrassing and expensive!
    Anonymous

• I like Dr. Phil's advice on this. Melt into the crowd and *tsk* at your tantruming toddler. Be unimpressed. Let him have his storm. When he gets the idea that the behavior gets him nothing but tired, he'll stop.

Also check out 1-2-3 Magic by Thomas Phelan.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:01 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Ours usually has a fit cuz he's sitting in the cart with his brother, we can't let them out or else they try to take everything off the shelf and toss it into the cart.

Next time I think I'm going to suggest to DH that he drop me off, leave me there for an agreed upon time and take them to the park while I get some "me" time.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 9:33 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• My three year old knows if she's good the whole time we're there I'll buy her a doughnut at the end. It usually works :-)
    popcornlover

Answer by popcornlover at 1:41 AM on Mar. 9, 2010